Best PFDs that don't interfere with your kayak seat?

I have been happy with my NRS C-Vest:

NRS cVest Mesh Back PFD | NRS

High high back good if seats are high. That one’s real high.

Kokatat line is a good looking jacket. The only thing I don’t like is the closed front. Got to ventilate. I get out of a dry boat and have a 1/2 inch puddle of water in the seat They’re too much like flak jacket but have a nice clean front. The NSR cVest was a top consideration. I didn’t see the a bottom buckle. If I unzip, the buckle keep the vest in place. I like the D-rings for clipping the penguin carbiner with my phone and keys. And the GPS lanyard when I go to the truck, because I got water bottles, chart case and paddle. Lots of reflector patches. Good looking pockets but like a clean front. What kind of issues did you have with the Astral V8. I’m afraid to say it’s a prime contender. What issues did you find.

My NRS C-Vest has a bottom buckle. I like that feature. And I see it on the NRS photos, but you have to look close, maybe with a different color vest?

Have to look at the NRS vest if the Astral turns out to be a dud. It’s a shame we don’t have any kayak outfitters in Baltimore. There’s the REI, Dicks, Bass Oro. But not dedicated yak shops. Annapolis has a shop on the water, one on the Susquehanna called Shanks Mare Outfitterd. But their stock is depleted.

Looking at the newer Astral V8 Fisher model, they have clearly improved it since I got mine nearly 10 years ago - plenty of pockets now (the only issue I have had with mine has been tge lousy storage, essentially just one tiny mesh pocket with a snap, not at all secure) and a lash strap on the back flotation section for attaching a light. They are constantly improving and changing their models.

Thanks for all the help. But I decided on style rather than features.

We love ours, and they have decent pockets which is important to us. One of my boats has a higher seat back, and the C vest clears it with room to spare. I am short with a short torso to boot.

What brand and model is it you have? Doesn’t help a lot if you don’t identify them. I’m always looking for short torso PFD’s.

I replied to a comment about the NRS C-Vest and I used the term C-Vest myself.

Is that the rascal. I like the looks of it. Someone recommended it and confirmed it has a bottom buckle. I objected to the pockets. But second glance at it. The pockets look more rounded than the Chinook I just bought.

Oops – see that now.

Astral V8 interior pockets / pouches inside are sewn so flat and tight they are useless. Hard clam shell I didn’t like restricted with no flexibility when you put something in. Didn’t stay down as well. Thinner less padded shoulder strap as. Foam is cut curved to fit better. Stays down low after a long 3+ hour paddle. Astral V8 didn’t do as well on the couch. Never creeps up in my face.

I just tie the whistle with a short cord to the zipper, no slack. I find that I can easily pull it up to my lips. Hmmm, maybe this means my PFD isn’t tight enough…

ditto, love it!

Good breakouts. Never thought of the whistle being the zipper pull.