best place for spare paddle?

Not with a Greenland paddle
You just learn to hang onto it…that is until the water has other ideas.

I used wrist leashes a few times back when I used Euro paddles, but they’re basically just a “security blanket” and you really shouldn’t rely on one to retain your paddle in rough conditions. About the only time I found it useful was on relatively calm water when I just wanted to drop the paddle so I could use both hands for a task other than paddling. With properly set up deck rigging, it’s faster to stow the paddle than mess with a leash.

Mostly for rescues
As noted by bnystrom, it isn’t too hard to cultivate the habit of hanging onto your paddle when dumped, as well as keeping a leg hooked in the boat when practical (in some situations it’s not). The other issue is what the paddle leash attaches to - your wrist or your boat. There are quite strong opinions out there about it being a bad idea to have any cord long enough to make the reach from your boat to your paddle.

paddle leashes
this is a matter of personal pref (& sometimes heated discussion) but I never used one and still don’t.

IMO they are an entanglement above or below the water surface. They get in the way when I brace, scull or roll. I find them cumbersome doing bow or cross bow rudders, and not all that graceful doing full sweep stroke either.

If there is a very strong wind I drop my hands and paddle lower angle w. a shorter cadence. (my Euro paddles are feathered). Or I reach to the foredeck for my spare Greenland two piece & paddle that.

Like Celia says it is a good habit to practice rescues and wet exits maintaining a sure grip on both the paddle (and the boat, come to that) and get a feel for where to best stow the paddles of both rescuer or rescuee.

YMMV

Britches removable fastening
You can also cut 6" lengths of nylon cord. Thread them through & center them in the britches mounting loops. Lay out the britches where you want to mount them. Wrap both ends of the cord section over and around your perimeter line, then knot the ends together. Trim & melt the ends if you wish. Takes longer, but I prefer it to the hard plastic of cable ties.

“IMO they are an entanglement” -ff
I also feel that paddle leashes are more risk than asset.

I’ve used various types of paddle leashes over the years but for some time now have felt it safer to not use one.

It IS important be able to quickly and safely stow your paddle in an emergency, such as doing a rescue, in a manner which allows you to retrieve it. There are a number of options for that purpose.

It is important to practice holding onto your paddle, and boat, in capsizes etc… If the wind or current is so strong as to rip it from your hands it is also strong enough to ensnare you in the leash or cause other issues in having such a tether.

If you DO decide to use a leash…

– Last Updated: Jun-18-10 9:27 PM EST –

...IMO a wrist leash is the only way to go. It should be made of plain, 1/8" bungee and not the "telephone cord" style material. Wrist leashes work well enough for retaining the paddle (keeping it with the paddler, where it should be), but allow you to jettison it easily if necessary and they don't create an entanglement hazard. They don't interfere with strokes and braces, don't snag other objects (the telephone cord types are horrible in that regard) and they don't bang annoyingly on the deck with every paddle stroke.

I have yet to see a boat-mounted paddle leash that wasn't a complete abomination.

Back deck
I carry a smaller GP on the back deck. A Euro on the back deck can really get in the way of an assisted rescue however I was just rescued yesterday and climbing up on my GP was no problem. i had something biting my ankle, pulled myself on my back deck to check it out and over I went (in flat water). BTW: those are never capsizes, they are rescue demonstrations.

I also keep a spare euro in my trunk of the car. I can’t tell you how many times I bailed out a paddler who forgot a paddle - including me.