Best places to live in N America for great sea kayaking?

I would never choose only one region as the best, but having lived in the PNW, that gets my vote as one of the few best places.

The year-round paddling, plethora of saltwater launch sites as well as some lakes, solid maritime infrastructure (radio, nav aids, USCG presence, and overall sea-knowledgeable culture, marine supply stores), put it far above most places in the US for sea kayaking.

The fact that theoretically someone could paddle all the way across the Pacific also gives it a certain lustre that nothing inland can match. It’s not just about the distance (the Missouri River is long, for example). It’s about the open water environment, and the tidal elements, and the marine life. There’s a boundless world of life UNDER your kayak out there.

Having said that, now that I paddle a surf ski, the rare combination of environmental/weather factors in the Columbia River Gorge make me want to paddle in the famed section that is mecca to wind surfers et al. So Magooch, I’ll be heading out that way, probably in the new year.

I have paddled the Pacific Northwest (OR) and southern New England and for big water and nail-biting conditions Oregon rules. Giant sea caves, 15’ surf, rock-gardening to the extreme, etc. A drysuit is required year-round though!!

CT/RI/ME rock in other ways though. The Thimble Islands off Stony Creek/Branford is perfect for novice to advanced paddlers dependent on wind/tide. You can paddle 15 consecutive days and it will paddle and look different each one of them. Rhode Island provides the big ocean feel and clear water with bays/tideraces/rock gardening though not as extreme as the PNW.

Maine is pure beauty and offers sights and conditions for every paddler. Truly God’s favorite paddle spot.

Vancouver Island and nearby Gulf Islands are spectacular. The one drawback is the water is always cold.

Circling back, I lived in the PNW as well, and alhough it’s hard to beat the beauty and natural wonder of the area, I personally prefer warmer water. I despise putting on my drysuit more than I have too and like to jump out of the boat as much as possible. I like to get wet, not cold.
Just my .02

1 Like

The thing I dislike more than putting on/taking off a drysuit (or a wetsuit) is wearing gloves. If waterproof and warm, they feel thick, even the thin ones. I had to get used to wearing them in late fall and then get used to bare hands in spring. I was already fed up with gloves by the time we moved to the PNW. The good part was if I didn’t feel like paddling in glovey season, that was still a shorter off season than in CO.

If you live somewhere that gloves never become needed, then you’d better accept wearing sunscreen on much of the body during the very hot, humid seasons. Lightweight UV-protecting shirts and tights would still get darned hot, though I do think light-colored tights would do. Why are almost all water-appropriate tights BLACK?

I exclusively wear long sleeve shirts while paddling in the summer in Florida. I am always on the hunt for the “perfect” summer paddling shirt - they are tough to find. Needs to be very lightweight and loose fitting but no scooped neck please! I end up buying men’s shirts sometimes as they will have a normal crew neck. When it’s as hot as it is here in the summer (heat index 100+ every day) you are going to be hot no matter what and the shirts are better sun protection than sunscreen.

I did just buy a Kokatat “lightweight” sun shirt and laughed when I received it - waaay too heavy to wear here in the summer but it has now become my go to shirt in the fall/winter as it is perfect for the cooler (70s) days. Which is probably summer weather in NoCal where Kokatat is!

Look for clothing that is focused on fishing - especially fly fishing. Patagonia has a couple in both men’s and woman’s sizes that are fairly light. I have a Columbia shirt is also pretty light (and light colored).

I find most of the fishing shirts are button downs, which I don’t find comfortable under a PFD. I do like Patagonia’s super lightweight shirts.

check out the Columbia Terminal Tackle (for men) and Deflector Series for Women. We both run these in the summer. SPF 50 long sleeve, really nice.

1 Like

I just did. On Amazon the price range is $11 to $99! Probably better in person

@NotThePainter I have a couple of those Columbia shirts. OK for sailing, or winter paddling but too thick for paddling here in the summer (heat index 100+ for 5 months straight)

We find that even in the summer, the shade on the arms is great. Then again, 100+, yikes!

We love the looks we get at the boat launch, men in swim trunks, shirtless, women with halters or bikini tops. They’re all beet red and sweating and we pull up, long pants, long sleeve shirts, wide brim hats.

We both must think the others are crazy.

1 Like

I live in Atlanta and Charleston is my most common out-of-town destination for paddling. Although that largely has to do with proximity, it just has a lot of great paddling opportunities and Charleston is just a really nice place. A great food destination (my 2nd passion). Agree with everything said here and it also seems to have a really great paddling community. Lot’s of group outings, training events and so on.

Best place to live for sea kayaking…near the water.

Not a sea kayaker, but I’ll put in a plug for the Rhode Island coast - 400 miles of coastline including Narragansett Bay. Rocks, beaches, mansions, rock gardening, reasonable crossings - what’s not to like. Here are some shots from a rock gardening trip at the mouth of Narragansett Bay from Fort Wetherill on the southeast side of Jamestown.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/albums/72157696371455471

I was with a friend in a 20’ tandem Tsunami sit-on-top. Here is some video, including us stuck in a hole at Horsehead at the mouth of Mackerel Cove.

Kind of crazy that I frequently drive a couple of hours to paddle rivers when this is 20 minutes away.

2 Likes

@eckilson I lived in Jamestown for 11 years - started my paddling career buying a kayak at the Kayak Centre in Wickford. I don’t miss the winters but I do love that area!

1 Like