Best plan of action????

yes
i am using a contact tow but as near as i can understand, aampapes is calling it a paddle park.

I don’t think I would use a contact tow
or any other rope/webbing device to keep the kayaks together. In the event that the entire raft capsized it would be a mess to sort out - requiring an ‘all-in’ recovery after you cut the kayaks loose.

It seems easier to hold onto the raft by hand, and if disaster struck to let go then roll up.

Cut him loose and SURF!

I’d go the keep paddlin route
without a doubt and make sure my lame duck in tow knew what we would both do if they capsized. Until some serious hail started. Then I would take to the water with a paddle blade between my head and the hailstones. Not sure there would be a lot of survival choices in the serious hail situation?

Seriously
If I were really concerned about my partner who was incapacitated for whatever reason, and I had a storm about to hit me, Id be on the VHF asking for assistance from any nearby vessels.

A drogue, rafting together etc, are sensible ways to take the hit. of course there are no guarantees.

Let’s not forget if it does go to hell a power boat will probably come to your assistance :slight_smile: Just hope they aren’t drunk eh??

Change to more common scenario
Forget the injured paddler example . A more common scenario is a broad mix of boat types, experience and skill levels with most in the group not ready for a storm of this nature. Paddler A is the overweight fisherman with 4 rods out, B is the lady in her Pungo with her Black Lab, C & D is the frail retired couple, E and F are the 2 seasoned kayakers who are well prepared and paddled over to warn them but see a bad unescapable situation. This is inland water ,warm-80 degrees, no current. Storm moving in, wind 50 mph,2ft wind chop,lightning. Paddlers E and F need a plan you have 15 minutes and beaching is not an option. Condition will be calm again in 20 minutes.

Lets be more realistic! Dale

More common? Maybe. More realisitc?

– Last Updated: Aug-21-08 3:36 PM EST –

I don't thinks so. You clubby/groupy types may put together stuff like this - but you should never get into weather realated trouble if you do - as groups that mixed up in gear and skills levels should only be doing VERY conservative paddles, near shore (maybe lake shore vs sea), with multiple known and easy take out points.

Same answer

– Last Updated: Aug-22-08 11:29 AM EST –

The problem with being realistic is not coming from these replies - you keep getting info from people who have handled those kinds of conditions and ignoring it.

Raft up and encourage calm. As best you can anyway - probably that only a few of the folks will have tows. One other thing that makes rafting up critical is now you likely have a few people without skirts, so rafting together is the only good shot they have at stability.

It seems that you don't like the rafting up option, but your alternative of a few overweight or frail people jumping willy-nilly out of their boats and risking hypothermia (yes it can happen in warm water) sounds like the emptying out of a clown car.

But Greyak is right - thoswe people shouldn't be so far from shore that they can't make it to shelter anyway. If they are, perfect solutions should not be expected.

Oh - and make the fisherman stow his lines and hooks very very well.

Playing what ifs on a computer
is ridiculous.

Practice in real-life with an empty boat or with a boat and mannequin

G_K

Greyak
You see this more up here where people can paddle in wild life refugees etc., S. Florida is more developed.

This is not an organized group or club just the rec. crowed. This happened to me twice but I was able to get a beach landing going to safety. The storms came up behind them each time.

The other thing I wittnesed is people in rental boats in coastal tidal areas taking an unplanned ride though the inlet to the ocean because they had no idea what they where in. 8 knt. out going current. Some crashed into the bridge at Matanzas.

is this
one of them stories about a single boat, goat, wolf, a head of lettuce, and extreme need to cross the river, while wanting to keep the number of “before” and “after” participants the same?

Did you talk to the rental outfit?
That problem was on them.

especially
when the goal posts keep moving

Huuraay
No, this is the story of someone who has been under T.S. Fay for 3 days watching the water rise to 2 ft. in the street and paddling from the garage suffering from cabin fever . The rain has stopped and it is time to get out of here.