best sea kayaking city in the world

nope, i’ve decided
where my sea kayaking paradise is. hoping your’s is where you want it to be too.

Peoria, IL
lends new meaning to “white” water

Another advantage of Juneau
is that you don’t have to worry about getting a sunburn.

Holyhead, Wales, Sitka, AK. (NM)

Santa Cruz
There is some pretty decent surf at Santa Cruz :wink:

Lake Tahoe is my favorite freshwater spot of all time

But actually my new favorite spot is no where near a city of any size. Its up on the Mendocino Coast

How about
Honolulu, Lahaina, Kihei, Kailua Kona, I could go on and on :slight_smile: Aloha

There is no one "best"
it depends on your defination of “sea kayaking”.

I haven’t paddled the world over, but I have paddled in your neck of the woods, in the southern part of the west coast, Alaska, in both ends of Canada, all up and down the east coast, and in the virgin Islands, and there are just too many to pick the best.

My personal favorite during the winter months is the Florida Keys.

You can go a different place every single day for four months and still never get to explore each or every Key, and it is next to impossible to go a day without seeing or experiencing a wildlife experience.

I paddled Alaska for four months and loved every single paddle.

I guess the big difference between the tropical paddling versus the north Pacific or north Atlantic is the fact that if you take a swim.

In your neck of the woods if you don’t get out quick, you are history. In the southern waters you can enjoy the dip and get back in your boat at your leisure.

Cheers,

jackL

Portland Maine

– Last Updated: Sep-10-08 11:22 AM EST –

Based only on extensive reading and wish-list, not experience, this as a city seems to be a desirable place to live if you sea kayak. You have Casco Bay out the door, and Muscongus bay and Stonington not far. The other direction, you have Cape Ann Massachusetts. For fresh water, you've got lots of lakes with loons and moose nearby. The only issue is water temp - one is usually paddling with wetsuit or drysuit on the coast here even in summer.

Not far?
Muscongus is two hours away

Stonington three.

Those fingers of land down into the ocean have windy roads.

Nothing in New England is close especially when going east or west.

The Lakes are about half an hour to an hour and a half away depending on the choice of lake

Texas coast is pretty nice
Mild temperatures most of the year, bays of varying sizes with lots of coves and grasslands to eplore. Great birding opportunities all year round, but especially during migrations, where we are under a main flyway. The gulf is calm and warm (well, maybe not so calm this weekend). Plus, one of the lowest costs of living of any coastal area in the US, great food, friendly people.

Bubble reveal!St. John’s, NFLD., has man
St. John’s, NFLD., has many points of interest, none more unlikely than the sewage outfall at the foot of Temperance Street. Locals call it “the Outlet” or “the Bubble,” after the odorous ring of raw, green-brown sewage that wells up into St. John’s Harbour. It is a favoured spot for hundreds of hungry local and exotic seagulls, and for those who love them. “The St. John’s sewer outlet is famous among the gull-watching elite of North America and Europe,” says avid birder and columnist Bruce Mactavish. The gulls are drawn by “the rich and continuous supply of not fully processed by-products of humanity,” he says delicately. Birders, even international tours, are drawn by the assured supply of black-headed and Kumlien’s gulls within easy view of the shore. “In the winter, one can sit in his or her car on Pier 17, listen to the radio while drinking a Tim Hortons,” says Mactavish. “Makes a nice lunch hour if your time is limited for birdwatching.”