Best Sit in Kayak for Nature Photography

Solo Canoe for wildlife photography
I like a solo canoe for wildlife photography. I have never been a fan of kayaks. I am currently using a Swift Osprey carbon fusion solo canoe that weighs 26 1/2 pounds. I find I can enter and exit a solo canoe easier than a kayak and in tight quarters in a marsh it handles much better than do kayaks that some of my friends use.

I shoot a Canon 7D2 with a Canon 100 to 400 L lens. I have a Pelican 1500 case that I store it in when entering and exiting the water but leave the lid open when doing photography so I can take a quick shot when the opportunity presents itself.

This outfit has worked well for me the last couple years.

WS Pungo

Photography from a kayak
I shoot from a WS Pungo 12 and really like the space in the cockpit. Shooting a D300 and D750 with everything up to 500mm. Very stable platform as kayaks go. Our other boat is a Necky Dolphin 14…faster boat…great secondary stability, but it’s a SOT, so…when you aren’t shooting…it’s wetter.

I agree about using a solo canoe
I own both a SOT and a solo canoe and find the solo canoe far easier to get to equipment. I fish but my friend Connie photographs from her Wenonah Vagabond. She blogs about her photography methods using a solo canoe.

Worth considering…

www.constancemierphotography.com