best size touring blade

Placid Boatworks gathering
Hi Mike,

See you there! Bring the lightest canoe from your fleet as the paddle routes around Fish Creek Campground have a lot of carries, but you probably know that.

Looking forward to paddling with you,

Dave

Save Yourself Some Trouble
Skip the euro paddle and go straight to the Greenland paddle. Wish I had.

Not sure

– Last Updated: Aug-14-08 9:33 PM EST –

Ret603,

I mentioned I was strong and in good shape? Did you just make that quote up? Actually the OP said he was strong and in good shape. He didn't specify an age.

Those points you mentioned were covered in previous posts.

I said I had a small bade and a large one. That way when I get tired I switch to the small one.

I shouldn't be expected to cover every aspect of aging and kayking when the OP didn't specify an age.

Please read my post more carefully.

Ret603
posted…

“Islanders,

You don’t mention age, only that you are “strong and in good shape”.”

(I didn’t mention I strong or in good shape, the OP did. go back and read the post. Your attention span is very short.)

“When you are strong you can paddle with any blade. Wider blades give more power and control, narrower blades sacrifice some of that but are less fatiguing on day long paddles. While you are strong (a passing state) you can use a 90* feathered paddle with a high angle stroke for the most efficient and powerful stroke.”

I also said I have two paddle sizes. One larger and one smaller. I said the wider blade was for bracing, tide, and wind.

“As the decades pass, the day will come when any feathered paddle irritates your simmering tennis elbow issues and any paddle with a stiff shaft will leave you with sore shoulders after a long day of paddling. When this time comes (it will) you can then move to a narrow non feathered euro paddle.”

Once again, I posted twice that I use two different size blades. You have no attention span and have confused post together and forgotten what I posted.

You assume too much about people you don’t know.

I realize that as one ages they have to limit their activities. As long as I’m not a selfish old prick I’ll be fine.

I think it’s time for me to find something more constructive than posting on the internet.

confused posts

– Last Updated: Aug-14-08 11:18 PM EST –

Ilanders,

My apologies for confusing one of your posts on this thread with the original poster. Sorry this stirred up so much bile.

You became so angry with my mixing two posts that you missed the theme of my post-as one ages they Don't have to limit their activities, they have to make adjustments in equipment (paddles in this discussion). Then they can continue doing what they enjoy doing (paddling). I have had to move from narrow euro blades to narrower traditional blades. I still am able to go paddling for many hours. There are kayakers in their 70s and 80's who paddle in Long Island Sound with our club. Most use a GP.

You have now repeated your critique of my mixing two posts twice. Is your attention span short?

As to whether you are young/old, selfish or a old prick, thats what mirrors are for.

Dave

Go figure!
Guy comes to the forum looking for advice and gets PO’d when it’s given…

Shuna is midsized blade
That’s what Werner calls it, and I agree, though for someone of my size (5’2") it might be considered “large.” Still, I do use it and haven’t had any problems. Its lightweight counterpart, the Cyprus, is my long-trips paddle (when the Shuna becomes the spare).

Some of the strongest paddlers
on the planet use smaller blades…

“Et tu insulani” NM

blade size and type
I’ve been kayaking over twelve years now and paddle over 1000 miles a year. For the past two years I’ve only used GP and Aleut paddles, and my aging shoulders are thanking me.

Paddle choice
You will not go wrong with the Stingray. This paddle with the fiberglass shaft is about the cheapest paddle you can get that is good enough for long-distance and exercise paddling. Do not get an aluminum shaft unless your paddling is not at all athletic, they are a big step down in performance.

I agree with the previous responders that it is better to go too short than too long. Avoid over 220.

Paddle choice
You will not go wrong with the Stingray. This paddle with the fiberglass shaft is about the cheapest paddle you can get that is good enough for long-distance and exercise paddling. Do not get an aluminum shaft unless your paddling is not at all athletic, they are a big step down in performance.

I agree with the previous responders that it is better to go too short than too long. Avoid over 220.

…I am just a canoeist(flat/oc-1)…but…

– Last Updated: Aug-17-08 12:30 PM EST –

The blade size best for you will mostly be determined by your paddling SKILL Level! Don't purchase as a beginner till you get your paddling skillset at a point where you're comfortable(for a while) with it to put on mileage.

$.01
SteveD

Just call ONNO
Pat will hook you up with the right size and shape touring paddle. Lightweight and strong and a price that can’t be beat for a custom paddle.

stingray
Before I switched to greenland paddles, I had two aquabound stingrays–one in carbon/fiberglass, and one in all carbon. They were great paddles for the price (very light, well balanced, etc). Much as I liked them, after my second time using a greenland paddle, I never went back (first time I hated the GP). So try a gp a few times before you decide. Or just get both.

La piccola ursa di lavorarsi. ???
it might sound Italian but let me tell you something: that smells of Babelfish :slight_smile:

How about: Orsetto lavatore (which does translate to little bear that washes. Probably named so since the racoons are known to wash stuff in water.)

Gnarlydog