Best Solo Canoe for Fishing

Questions

– Last Updated: Feb-24-11 10:35 AM EST –

Certainly RX is quieter than carbon/Kevlar composite; and heavier and clunkier to paddle. If fishing from a camp, it is a cheaper, quieter choice, if compromising paddle-ability is acceptable.

Similarly, paddling a tandem canoe solo will increase volume/stability, again at the cost of paddle-ability. Soloing a tandem costs control of the bow and requires the hull be heeled onside, requiring extra effort be spent correcting for the offide bow carve. One ends up managing the hull not paddling it. A tandem canoe ain't a solo canoe.

I've always contended that solo canoes should fit their owners to enhance control. But standing to cast changes that, leaving us to contemplate the three "over caliber" solo canoes; Wenonah's Wilderness, 15X31, Bell's RockStar 15.5X31 and Nova's SuperNova, 15X32. The Nova is a round bottom white and moving water paddlers boat, and is kinda counter-indicated for standing.

The Bell is longer and fuller than the Wenonah, and, with adequate bow rocker, more maneuverable. At 5'9", 165# with legs that barely reach the ground, I feel like a seed in a gourd in the thing, but it does everything I ask of a solo canoe and pretty easily. I do need to shuffle my knees to cross heel RockStar.

Wilderness has a flatter bottom, so both should be test paddled on warmer water than most will find next week.

Both Wilderness and Rockstar can be had in the lower 30's in composite, and at 50# in RX. I suppose the difference is the dock verse portage trail.

One can see and cast way more effectively from ones knees than from ones sitz bones. Standing brings such additional worries that it probably doesn't provide additional stable vision or casting distance in a canoe.

That said, Mad River had an ad with a guy standing and fly casting from a red Slipper on a mountain lake a couple decades ago that is burned into my memory forever. Slipper was 14.75 X 30".