Best tent for Vancouver Island

Varies by model
I have the Unna, which uses two long poles for structure. Tents with 3 or more poles have greater stability in wind, as seen in the higher-priced models…all other things being equal, which they never are.

More poles add more set-up time and weight, so need to balance those factors against whether the added stability is likely to be needed.

All the Hillebergs seem designed for cold-weather use, as they don’t have even one mesh-bodied tent, or at least they didn’t last time I looked. I’m not too fond of mesh-bodied tents myself, since they let desert sand and silt in galore, and they’re not warm. (I love how the Unna sets up fly-first, or fly and body at the same time. Definitely was a great feature when I had to set it up in a thunderstorm.)

Price doesn’t always tell the story, though. My first tent ever was a modestly-priced SierraWest (the original ultralight brand) 1-person tent. Not freestanding, it used two short hoops that held a low, mostly-mesh tunnel taut, covered by an integral coated-nylon full rain fly. Weighed only 2.5 lbs and held up to heavy continuous Hawaiian rain that lasted all night, and another night of extremely high winds, also in Hawaii. I awoke to the tent being closer to my face than it had been the night before, but it was still holding the body up and still staked down. All the other tents in the campground had been either trashed or were flattened completely.

Materials, structure, marketing
I don’t know Hillebergs at all so I won’t comment on them. Four-season mountaineering tents have superior materials (poles, fabric) and designs to withstand severe conditions that your Kelty Grand Mesa wouldn’t hold up in.

A better comparison might be Alps Mountaineering, Kelty, and Big Agnes. And to be fair, you should compare the same class of tents, like 3-season medium weight, versus ultralight. Here are some 2P tents in that class:

Alps Zephyr: Can often be found for less than $100

Kelty Grand Mesa: Often around $100-$120

Kelty Trail Ridge: A very well-designed tent, same materials as the Grand Mesa but much more practical, around $150

REI Half Dome: $189. Heavier than the preceding tents but sturdy.

Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL 2: $300. Now, what do you get in the Jack Rabbit that makes it two to three times the price of the Alps and Kelty Tents? Not much, in my opinion. The Jack Rabbit is 7 oz lighter than the Zephyr (significant for a backpacker maybe but irrelevant for a kayak camper). The floor area of the Jack Rabbit is below average (27 sq ft) and the volume is less than the Alps and Keltys. The waterproof coating on the floor and fly are better in the Alps and Kelty tents.

Big Agnes mysteriously does not publish the fabric weights of their tents, making comparisons difficult. A lot of hunting won’t readily turn up the weights, although the Backpacker Gear Guide says it’s 30D, which is less than half the weight of Alps and Kelty fabrics. In other words, the Jack Rabbit manages to weigh about the same as the Zephyr yet is smaller, has thinner fabric, and a thinner waterproof coating . . . for three times the price.

For my money, the Alps Zephyr and the Kelty Trail Ridge are better tents than the Big Agnes. There may be nothing at all wrong with the Jack Rabbit, but I’d rather spend the $150 difference on a sleeping bag or a fabulous mattress like the Exped Synmat 7. Plus, Alps makes some tents that can stand up to some pretty heavy weather, like this one for just $120: http://www.fedtacticaldirect.com/Alps-Mountaineering-Extreme-2-ClayRust-5232617_p_56633.html

One thing that contributes to tent price is the marketing strategy. Apparently Alps has a reputation for selling tents at cut-throat prices through internet drop vendors, making other sellers complain about undercutting. You won’t get any service from a drop vendor, and returning a tent will be costly. Kelty, though, uses conventional marketing and still manages to make good tents for half the price of Big Agnes.

I’m a big fan of gear that is both cheap and good. Alps Mountaineering is very good in that category. Their tents can be found for dirt-cheap prices, but in this case the quality is way above the price. The Zephyr 3 was on Steep and Cheap last week for just $89.

Fan of Kelty

– Last Updated: Oct-30-13 12:24 AM EST –

Love Kelty as I have yet to have one leak (on third one). Got back 3 weeks ago from our North Coast of California for some camping/mt biking and on two of the nights, it poured! We got 2 inches one night and 1 1/2 the next..and not a drop in the Kelty Trail Ridge. It's a 4 person and we slept on a queen air mattress, with a Border Collie and a Mini Doxy thrown in..lol. This tent (like all good ones) has sealed sew panels, waterproof raised floor, and easy to put up.
Here is the tent:http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28021#

Check reviews on their 2 man to give you a idea of performance. Good luck!
Found the 2 man:http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-trail-ridge-2.aspx

No contest: Black Diamond Ahwahnee
Pricy, but nothing better…

http://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-ahwahnee-tent-2-person-4-season

V I weather
I was on V I in Oct …rain…rain…rain ! so make sure the tent is waterproof.

Some suggestions
I’ve paddled these waters for years and camped many a night in all seasons in this country. I think there are many good tents out there and so long as the tent can withstand strong winds and has decent ventilation you’ll be fine. Best to pitch tent on gravel or sand in heavy rain, as drainage is good. Ive actually moved out from the tree canopy in torrential rain due to puddling and lack of drainage. Sand gets messy but drainage critical. Ground cloth is good but dont let it exceed tent floor edges

The trick to staying dry!!: Tarps. On Alaska and BC expeditions I carry two nylon tarps with cord pre-attached at grommets. These stuff into a sack that goes in front of feet in cockpit. Once I pull in for the eve I pitch tarps FIRST. One tarp covers tent area, the other dinning area. Once tarps are up boat is emptied by tossing small sacks into big net duffel. Tent is pitched under tarp and I then change, eat under dinning tarp. All the while staying totally dry.

Reverse process for departure. Doing this Ive stayed dry for days in horrible weather. It’s a system and it works. Not having a tarp over your tent means it will get soaked and packed wet. Some care and thought can mean the difference between comfort and misery.

Lastly. Tent needs to be big enough for you and some gear but not too big. Hard as it may be to believe, pitch-able sites can be rare on the west coast at times.

Safe travels

Design flaw on the Trail Ridge 4
They weren’t thinking straight when they made solid doors on the 4P, versus the mesh doors on the 2P and the 3P. The solid doors cut down considerably on air flow and block the view. Really unnecessary for privacy—for that you can close the fly door.

salty nailed it…
…he obviously has done this quite a bit. I follow the same procedures. Tarps are key to enjoying the area. One over your tent and another to cook, etc. under or one very large one to cover all. You need to make sure you have very robust staking and many guy out points, especially for large tarps. A tarp over the tent will keep you much dryer and happier during a trip.

My biggest concern with the current crop of MSR tents is a obviously greatly lacking in ventilation near the top of the tent. There are several Marmot tents out that combine all of the attributes, including good top ventilation in the fly, that are important to be as dry as possible.

Best advice yet.
Thanks salty. That’s some of the best advice I’ve had for camping up in the Northwest. Very valuable info.

Most of my camping experience is in the deserts of the southwest. Rain usually isn’t an issue, just wind and sand/dirt.

I’m really really really looking forward to my trip to the San Juans and Vancouver Island this spring.

Leaking Kelty
We just got back from Fl. with our Kelty. I’ve always pitched it under a tarp but my wife didn’t want to listen to the tarp flap in the wind. When the rain came it leaked every where the poles touched the rain-fly. The water ran down the sides to the seam where the floor is sewn then it wicked inside. A trip to WalMart for a free standing shelter saved the night. What can I put on the tent to cure this?

Paint some of this on…
Takes a while, but works well. http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/seam-grip#10510

Before you come this way

– Last Updated: Nov-09-13 12:41 AM EST –

email me and I will help you if needed. I know the coastline very well. I make my living as a commercial mariner. I work in Valdez Ak month on month off but am more than happy to help with staging area, charts, local knowledge etc. My home is in Bow Wa right near the San Juan Islands. Take care..

Will do. Thanks.