best way to enter /exit kayak

pretty much what was said above, but
he stresses that one shouldn’t use their paddle to help out. Too much undue stress resulting in possibly breaking the paddle. He talked about sctatching it up too, but I think minimal scratching adds character…

leg-butt-leg
I agree,except for ridiculously long rec cockpits i can’t stick legs fully in with the butt in, so i always lift myself up with my arms just when i am about to put the second leg in when launching or before i pull my first leg out when landing. so launching sequence is :

Leg in cockit

butt in

lift up

slide first leg in all the way and put second leg in.

works like a charm.

Move The Seat Back An Inch Or Two
Then you can do it.

Lake Galena
Hey Mike,

I am on a mailing list for paddlers up in Bucks County. Their regular place to paddle is Lake Galena but they also paddle at Lake Nockamixon and other lakes in the area as well.

There is also a very active group of paddlers in the penn_kayaking Yahoo! Group. Shoot me an email and I will give you some more details.

Jeff

yes move seat back
it may work. The skerry cockpit is 28" long, my cockpit is 30" and I am 5’6".

I moved mine forward 3"
Getting in/out is about 1% of my paddling time. I’d rather set the cockpit up for the 99% I’m in it. Moving it back gave me me better thigh bracing and a better layback position (and set trim to what the new models are).

Once you use an ocean cockpit a few times you get over the need to leg lift even in keyholes. Just sit on the rear deck and scoot in and out. Use the paddle as an outrigger if needed - but floating and away from shore, not grounded.

I’m not too concerned about trying to get in canoe style like many above. Whatever works though. Cockpits and paddlers vary.

Outrigger
Is it still a problem if the paddle is pointing away from shore - and floating (not on anything solid!)?

Greenland paddles’ buoyancy is really nice for this, but not needed. Shore brace also definitely not needed - and asking for trouble. All you need is a little dampening effect from the paddle if you wobble - . Balance is still mostly you over the kayak.

I get in/out my sub 19" wide SOF floating like this. I’m much better I am at stuff like this than when I first got a sea kayak. Still, there will always be some of those less than graceful moments…

Jacks method no. 2
Or something similar works for me.

With the wooden tern I began worrying about the scrapes and scratches a lot more.

With the glass and aluminum paddle I can use the paddle shaft but with the grey owl I’m not going to try…(221#)

I actually have brought a cut down crutch (looks like it’s for a ‘small person’ (PC))to stabilize the outside edge of the boat while doing what amounts to a cowboy entry and exit.

Like Jack, my legs don’t limbo as well as they once did.

Roll in from shore
If you ever get the chance to see “Mystery Of The Nile” (omnimax film), one of the scouts would squeeze into his boat about six feet from the waterline, then roll in.

http://www.nilefilm.com/

I’m a canoer… Canoeist? Canoeman? I (uh) don’t have a kayak, never tried this.

ask everyone you are with if they see
the deer/otter/turkey/beaver/eagle/etc over there (point). when they turn to try and find it, get in/out.

List and lake galena
I don’t know if you got my email or not? I’m interested and as a matter of fact, will be at Lake Galena, this Sunday am around 8am…if anyone is interested. I have a red Pungo! Thanks again Mike

Scull from the shoulder
I was on a tip last weekend and a guy gave me a tip that works great for me, especially with a greenland paddle.

This is for right handed. Place one end of the paddle on your shoulder, wrap your arm around the back of the loom, place your hand on the top of the loom near the blade that is away from you. The paddle is now like an extension of your right arm.

Now do the butt, leg, leg. For a beginner, you can just place the blade on the ground under the water, as if you have a really long arm. Stabilizes the boat nice without much pressure on the paddle. For a little more advanced, practice feathering the blade across the top of the water to give the support, basically a one arm scull.

Paul S.