Best Wilderness River Trips_Canoe

I’m lookin’ ‘em up
Each of the rivers mentioned that is, to decide if they will handle two weeks of me and the old lady, and if we can handle them. I have decided there is much more to my liking in Canada. Most of the Expedition canoing authors seems to favor the NWT. Reckin’ I’ll just put new tires on the old buggy and strap my boat on top for a trip up north. Be worth it to get away from the hoards of hippies, fly fishers, and cattle that clutter up the “wild, remote” upper Snake. Thanks for the suggestons.

Current River, MO
You can do several days paddling on this National Wild and scienic river in the Ozarks (2 hrs drive from St. Louis, MO.,without seeing a house. It is spring fed (you can stop and see many springs), clear, clean, moving water but safe as most obstacles had been blasted away in the past for logging transport.

current river
My wife and I were just talking about an early April canoe trip. Can you give me any more info on the Current River- where it is, any rapids, any outfitters, how would April be on it? (we are from Wisconsin so 60+ degrees is warm)

Williams Rv
I’m a little late with this, been away on hiatus till now. Read some of this thread. Sounds like you’re in realitive proximity to what sounds like an awesome river west of Saskatoon. Flows into Lake Athabasca. Might require an expensive float plane trip in, but is well described by Cliff Speer in “Canada’s Best Canoe Routes” by Alister Thomas.

He descibes an “otherworldly experience” paddling on a remote wilderness river with huge sanddunes on the west bank and boreal forests on the east. Easy campsites all along the shore. Only modest portages, mostly liftovers and some lining. I wsh I could do it this spring.

Good lukc finding what you’re looking for and happy paddlin’.

-PM

Wilderness trips
Try the Rio Grande.

Malone

Current River

– Last Updated: Mar-29-04 6:54 PM EST –

Hawkeye79 -

I finished a six day float of the Jack's Fork and Current rivers about three weeks ago in the off season. It was a great time. The scenery was beautiful and the Jack's Fork Provided some interesting challenges. We used Two Rivers Canoe Rental. The owner is Shane Van Steenis. Shane did a great job advising us and helped us with two issues that were way above and beyond the call of duty. This guy provided outrageous service at a very reasonable price.

Follow this link and it will give you a lot of information about the rivers, outfitters, camping, etc. (www.missourisenicrivers.com).

Regards,

The Goose

BeaverJack

– Last Updated: Apr-02-04 10:26 PM EST –

Canada will indeed be your best bet, without a doubt.
Way back when, I contacted the Ministry of Natural Resources in Ontario while they were still offering route descriptions so I have quite a bit of information on that province.
If you head over that way, just email me if you have a particular river in mind and I'll see if I have anything on it.

I also have many govt. pamphlets for routes in Saskatchewan as well.

Here's a good place to look for Canadian information.
http://www.myccr.com/Routes.htm

Jack