Better solo canoe for a big guy than..

Sundowner 17?
Never paddled a Penobscot so don’t know how it compares but you might want to look at the Wenonah Sundowner 17. Not much rocker so it’s a hard tracker. Low sides and fairly narrow. Don’t really understand why Wenonah pushes it so much as a racing boat. It’s not too tippy nor particularly fast when compared to a lot of the 18 footers.

I believe they quit making it for a while but I see it’s back now, but apparently only in Royalex. Might be tough to find something used in Kevlar.

Alan

Personally I htink the Penobscott
is probably your best bet. If I remember that canoe weighs about 60Lbs. That is not so bad really in the grand scheme of things.

large solo
bell makes a solo called the rockstar, u can find several online, royalex approx 48 lbs, oak orchard canoe in rochester ny has a kevlar one, a lot lighter, they ship…its a solo made for bigger paddlers, nice canoe…

Wenonah Wilderness
The Wenonah Wilderness is a great big guy boat. 49lbs. in Royalex and 43lbs in Tuff-Weave (which is a better layup). Good stability and tracking for your weight and a decent adjustable seat and footbrace.

n7zuq,
I don’t see that you mentioned how long you’ve been looking. I have watched CL in Portland pretty regularly for a few years - more so over the last year, since I was shopping for a canoe for my brother there - and there are a few models that I see showing up with some regularity that you may be interested in.

The MR Malecite in kev has been offered a couple times that I noticed. It is similar in performance to the Penobscot. A little faster IME and the secondary stability has a little different feel to it.

Clipper Tripper seems to pop up fairly often - maybe about half the time in kev. I haven’t paddled one, but it looks like it should be close to your needs.

Wenonah Sundowner 17. I don’t know much about it, but someone mentioned above that it should be similar. I’ve seen a few of those too.

I have yet to see a Wenonah Escapade for sale in your area (which should also work for you), but I have seen a couple Solo Plus’s go by.

Of all those above, it seems the Clipper is the most common in your area. Must be a Clipper dealer somewhere in the PNW. Incidentally, I just saw a nice Clipper Prospecter 14 go for no more than $475 right here at home.

Best thing about your situation right now is that you already have the Penobscot - so there’s no immediate need…right? So you can afford to take your time an watch.

Oh yeah - my brother got his canoe, so you’re not competing with us. :wink:

Lots of boats mentioned that sound
like potential matches. Ya’…hit on CE as well.

Northstar?
My apologies if it was already mentioned, but if you’re comfortable with the size of the Penobscot, a Bell NorthStar rigged as a solo might work for you.

always on the lookout
I’ve been following CraigsList for a couple of years, and have bought, tried, and resold a couple that didn’t really suit me (the CraigsList rental program). Plus I’ve held onto a couple, like the Penobscot, that I’ve liked. So you’re right, there is no immediate need and I can afford to be patient until the right one comes along. Once I find the right fit, if there is such a thing, I would like to get one in a light weight composite. If anything, my experience with the ultralight Advantage has taught me that. In the mean time, I keep looking and trying and learning. Y’all have given me a number of great ideas that I may not have considered before to keep an eye out for.

I am familiar with the listed Malecite you mention and decided not to pursue that one. Looks like Clipper has dealers in Wenatchee and Spokane, so that probably explains why they show up a little more often. We also see a few of the Easy Rider brand which I believe are made in the Seattle area. It’s too bad I don’t want a Coleman or a Grumman. Seems like they are everywhere.

What did you brother end up with?

Brother…
…ended up with a FG Ranger Otter. He got a heck of a deal on it - but it was here, not there.

The CL rental program. I like that. :smiley:

Wenonah Encounter
You could look into the possibilites on a Wenonah Encounter. It’s for tripping and touring, the Wenonah Advantage/Voyager is for that but also for “rec racing” so its not quite as stable or as big.

Erin

Texas

quickblade14@hotmail.com