Biding time over the winter

some skills carry and some don’t,
I’m all about the environment- different environments demand some different skills, gear, boats etc.

After an 8 week rolling clinic you’ll be primed to boat. Head my direction (wv)in the Spring- a good time to boat with a lot of choices.

Something to look forward too
Moonlight paddles are the best. The night before the full moon is the best time to go. The moon is rising as the sun is setting so it will be just over the trees as it gets dark. On the actual night of the full moon you get almost an hour of dark dark dark. A few nights early are OK too, use your night vision and choose your venues wisely, my favorite part of paddling!

To get the full effect
Of B&B, sit in your car in the garage with the engine running

Garage door open or closed? (nm)

Just a Suggestion
Consider doing some sit ups a few weeks before your classes start. When you first learn to roll it’s likely a ‘muscley’ thing. Later it becomes a ‘technique’ thing.

winter
You can drive south to warmer climates, plan trips for the spring or get some quality cold weather clothes and find some open water.

I hike
through the winter. Lets me keep in touch with nature and gets me some exercise, though not as much as during the summer.

Long long ago I used to live near your area. You might want to spend a few winter weekends at Starved Rock State park. Great place to hike in winter and they have cabins (pretty pricey though) if you don’t want to take on winter camping. In my experience it beats the bejeebers out of walking frozen corn fields and being swooped by “the hawk”.

Its a good time to read any and all paddle related literature you can lay hands on, plan trips, maybe get permits, fix up your camping stuff. Get a copy of “Waterwalker” and Dan Gibson’s “Solitudes: Loon country by canoe”. There’s some comfort in that.

And there’s nothing wrong with taking on a winter hobby as long as it doesn’t get in the way of paddling during the rest of the year. There are many that can be put aside without loss. Don’t get too involved in breeding aquarium fish though… raising fry can tie you down.

Just sayin’.