Big Kayak, small car

Small car
I haul multiple boats ww/touring on a corolla. I think I bought part of my rack at rackoutfitters.com and part on e-bay. I might have about 150 in it. Find out the exact clips feet and bar length you need and look on e-bay lots of yak/thule racks for sale all the time.

I’m using the inflatable HandiRacks
right now while I’m on vacation in Quebec Province (I live in California) with a rental car.

I’m carrying two full size sea kayaks, a Necky Looksha 17 and a Boreal Designs Inukshuk.

The racks work well, but are not quite as secure as my Thule rack at home. Bow and aft tiedowns are a must and I used two additional straps to go around both boats and through the car in addition to the two straps holding each boat. They have worked well at speeds up to about 60 mph.

I feel your pain

– Last Updated: Jul-24-08 9:52 AM EST –

I bought a new ford focus last month and have been using my old yakima system---bought 20 years ago--which doesn't fit this new car(nor the previous corolla--over nine years old) so I decided to go to the local shop to buy attachments to make it fit. At first the sales clerk said all I needed was two clips to add to the Q towers to make it fit(60 dollars) I went home--tried them and found out that I needed four new Q towers--(145 dollars). Tried to get the old towers off the bars---the bars had warped enough so I couldn't remove them---bought new bars--(60 dollars)---so 265 dollars later I have a brand new system which looks and works great and doesn't marr the finish of the new car-- oh well at least I didn't have to buy new J racks or cradles.

BTW whether you buy a yakima or a thule system, your most secure way to haul your boat is with J-Racks, if you can afford them get them.