Big paddler narrow boats thought?

Ha! Surprisingly it isn’t actually too bad to get in… now getting back out again, that’s another story… Funnily enough when I tested that boat the very first thing I did before even paddling was to do a wet exit. I wanted to be damn sure I was getting out of there if I needed too. If I haven’t paddled it in a while I do have to fight down the claustrophobia and I have not yet been brave enough to try adding the foam block to lock in my thighs for rolling… few more salads first :slight_smile:

Water in a kayak will be inherently sloshy/unstable regardless of your size. Make sure the kayak is outfitted so you are wearing it like a good pair of pants. Not disco pants, but not sloppy sweatpants either.

If you really want to be comfortable and in control, spend some time $ taking a rolling class or more.

Have pictures of the Valkyrie? Top and bottom I’d be interested in seeing them. Thanks!

Hey, I took a few pictures, hopefully the crazy amount of rocker comes through. This is a really fun boat, with the rudder up it turns on a dime but definitely takes some practise to keep on a straight line without it. When I do use the rudder I use it as a skeg which seems to work really well. I haven’t timed myself yet so I don’t know what speeds I am hitting but it feels a lot faster than my other boats. It also has a nice adjustable seat with adjustable padded thigh supports as well. The seat actually has three sliding positions, which I believe is due to this boat only being offered in one volume, but it should fit a lot of different paddler sizes.

3 Likes

Thanks I appreciate the pictures. It does have a good bit of rocker. I didn’t think it would have that much rocker.

1 Like

Looks like a fun boat to try out!
Plumb stern and plumber than most bow for a long waterline length. Cutouts for close paddle strokes. TONS of rocker! Looks to have a bit of flat under your butt.

1 Like

Almost looks like a surfski

And yes, Oscar is highly successful in large part because of his ability to read waves. His bio is pretty amazing. He’s been a waterman and athlete his whole life. His level of sea-surfing knowledge is almost unmatched as indicated by him winning his last world title at the Molokai at age 49, beating out many in their 20’s and 30’s.

Similarly, Serge Corbin has dominated canoe racing. He won his last Triple crown at 48 and has a 90% overall win percentage across ALL triple crown events. He only lost the Clinton once, likely one of the most dominant athletes in a sport, ever. Hes the Simone Biles of paddling. He even beat a guy’s 22 year old kid 23 years after beating his dad. That’s Boss.

1 Like

I’m a 6’ - 215lb paddler, and have a Wenonah Voyager, a Bell Mystic, and a Swift Bering Sea kayak. They are all built for speed, and are 17.5ft, 18.5ft and 17ft and all have a waterline width of roughly 23". With your size, the only thing you might need to worry about is body position when paddling and center of gravity. If the core of your body stays stable while you paddle, and you aren’t leaning toward the water on each stroke, almost every hull shape should be stable enough that you feel comfortable.

1 Like

You might look into the Seaward line of kayaks. Their build quality is first rate. Robin.

1 Like

Was out today my Expedition felt tad shakey first two miles, very little. Mind over matter too. I did 12 miles today and it felt like I was in my Solstice GT at the end. Tomorrow is a day for my Extremes. Not sure probably HV one first or both if I have the energy. Seat time, seat time, seat time. Have free time now trying for 10 minimum or about 20 maximum daily. Hopefully good by to a few pounds. Try my Corryvreckan 210 also again. Hard to beat my 205 Ikelos.

1 Like

Every time you mention the Corryvreckan I think of the Ardbeg which incidentally, is delicious!

I typically aim for 4 week day sessions in the evening and get a couple of laps in, approx 5.5nm total. I try to do a longer paddle at the weekend but life often gets in the way. Do you live right on the water or have your boats stored at the water? That is my dream, to just pop down and do some practice if I have 30 minutes or so. As it is right now I am 5 minutes drive from the pond but I don’t leave my boat on my car since it is poly and the uv would kill it. So add 15 mins for loading and unloading etc.

A good rooster can crow in any hen house.
Stop looking for excuses.

I just slide them in or pull them up. It can be 4’+ with the tides.

1 Like

I hope you can appreciate the envy from all the way over here :stuck_out_tongue: That looks fantastic, what a great way to do the kayaking life!

2 Likes

Don’t think about NARROW

Think BARGE!

https://images.app.goo.gl/88swtUk1v1hsGVBV7

1 Like

Here is my new to me Wilderness Experience Tempest 180 Pro. 23" narrow. Anybody know what effect length has on stability? Normally a 23" wide boat feels unstable in primary stability and for example…taking pics in my Necky Elaho (16’x23") is risky but in the Tempest is no issue. BTW…this boat is in very good condition…got it and a “free” Eddyline Fathom with stern hull damage (cracks) for $600 (!) in San Antonio TX…that included neo skirts and 2 CF Werner paddles.

2 Likes

6’ 260lbs. My advice is don’t take any. Go to rental places and try out as many kayaks as you can. When you find one that fits you like a favorite pair of old hiking boots and your comfortable in it form moment one, try to purchase it but at least get the name and model #. Hope this helps
Mac55

How many sea kayaks you think rental places have? By me next to zero. Nothing but rec kayaks. River Connection is the only place seriously supporting sea kayaks in the mist of millions of people in NYC.

2 Likes

I would imagine quite a few if you take a trip to the gulf coast. Sorry, just a thought figured I would just suggest it.
Good luck on your quest. I hope you find what you seek