big paddler question

rocking with less rocker
I will make a point of trying it out. thanks and happy paddling.

Big Guy Kayak

Have you looked at the Prijon Kodiak? You sound as though you are built like myself, (5’9" 240lbs) and I just love this boat. Quick,stable, and the quality is great! A little more money, but well worth the investment.

Agreed
The Assateague(sp) is a GREAT boat. It was #1 on my list until the Tempest came out with the T180. It’s must a small bit larger then the Impex.

After paddling the Assateague, if you like it buy it and you won’t be sorry. It will take you anywhere you want to go (smooth or rough conditions).

Wade

Paddling at the top of your range

– Last Updated: Sep-27-06 9:37 AM EST –

I usually end up in the other end, but yeah one way that people overtly get into a more active feeling boat is to choose a boat where they are at the top end of the boat's volume/weight assumptions. Within those margins it means that the boat simply feels like it is getting kicked around more in conditions, above those margins it means that the paddler is necessarily doing a lot of bracing.

It sounds like you are in the first bunch, within the assumptions but near the top. So for example when you edge the boat you probably are closer to a thin balance point than if at 135 pounds I took the boat to the same angle. Not at risk of imminent capsize, but at a point where you have to be more careful not to overdue than a lighter paddler would.

Getting more comfortable with and having recoveries for being in any part of the 360 arc of a boat's rotation is always the skills goal. And having a boat that is a little dicier and keeps you honest by forcing you to do things right is great for skills sessions and day paddles. But a lot of people, myself very much included, use a boat that will tolerate errors and still stay upright for big water long trips, expeditioning etc. My Vela is a great little boat, but for a camping trip over open water, or for a trip where I might end up doing a rescue in conditions, I take the Explorer LV. It just leaves me more room to think about the conditions rather than handling the boat moment to moment.

You should keep working with the Capella, but you may find that you want to keep this one then add a boat that demands a little less of your attention for larger trips.

center of gravity
Some people of similar size have suggested that you will get used to tippiness with practise. BUT, there can be a big difference between 6’1" and 6’3" in terms of the paddler centre of gravity, especially if your own weight is already centred up high due to your build. Some of the people who own this boat might want to try putting a 1 or 2 inch pad under their butt to get a sense of what you are dealing with.

A standardized centre of mass measurement process would be another useful tool to help people find a kayak fit. You should try other (more stable) boats to see how you feel in them, and if you can get the performance you want.

ditto northyak
The Capella is a very nice rough water boat but you just might be too top heavy in it in order to stay in your comfort zone for learning. If you do not know how to roll it’s essential for handling a boat that is easy to roll over in.

The challange is finding a wider,rounder bottomed kayak without losing what might eventually be a desirable boat for you. Try out CD Gulfstream, if the difference is night and day that might be a better boat for you, if the difference is slight then keep learning and looking. An Assateague might be the difference. There’s no reason to be on edge all the time if it’s cutting into fun/learning.

I didn’t learn how to brace until I learned how to roll.

I wasn’t implying above
that you should necessarily spend more time in the boat to give it a chance. I was just curious how long you had it since you hadn’t said. Just info.

The Tempest line is very stable. T170 or T180, depending on your waist size.

Paul S.

1 in. makes a BIG difference
I love the seat in my Tempest 180 and have used it for a couple years now. The seat in my NDK Romany HV was not comfortable. It was to narrow and a bit to high. I replaced it with the NDK foam seat and it made all the difference in the world.

I’ve also found that a heavy load in the hatches will provide a lot of stability as well.

Wade

I’m another big paddler…
I’m 6-1 and 250 pounds. I literally spent two YEARS trying all kinds of kayaks before I found the love of my life. I finally settled on a Current Designs Solstice High Volume. The standard Solstice was too small, the Titan felt like I was sitting in a bathtub with the cockpit rim up around my armpits, but the High Volume is perfect. I use a lightweight 240 carbon fiber paddle.

It’s not cheap, by any means. Mine was $3000 in fiberglass and weighs 58 pounds. It’s very comfortable, stable, fast, and tracks like it’s on rails. You may want to consider this boat.

Just my two cents…

Fred

CD Solstice HV
thx for the suggestion. I’ll give it a try. I am kinda getting tierd of feeling so unstable. I gneerally pick things up pretty quick but feeling stable in water of texture is just not happening in this boat and I feel I’v done enough paddling, classes, rolling etc. for it to be otherwise. thx again.

center of gravity
I think you’re right. Not that I don’t have room to improve, but something just isn’t right. My instability in textured water just has to be something beyond time in the seat. It just isn’t right. I’ve spent enough time paddling, taking classes, private lessons, rolling, etc to not feel better in texture than I do. I generally pick up on things pretty quick, but this just isn’t happening. I’ve decided to try some other boats out, like an Explorer HV as an example, and see if I feel any different. being 6"3" and being top heavy, I definately don’t have a typical kayaker build. As an example, with the Kokotat XL drysuit that I own, I can barely squeeze my shoulders through the zipper opening. That has to have something to do with it. Thanks for your post.

Gulfstream
I’ll try it. BTW, I can roll. but that doesn’t make me feel less like I’ll need that skill in textured water. While I know I need more time paddling, I think my center of gravity is too high in this boat, at least for now. Honestly, it is distracting from my ability to advance. Took a surfing class this past wk end and spent all my energy just trying to stay up, forget the finer pts of technique. it’s discouraging!

Seda Viking Max
Another boat to consider is the Viking Max from SEDA. Large cockpit that you can lift your knees up in. Actually both at the same time. Plenty of leg room, and good foot room. Also little wider than average at 25 inches. I found it to plenty stable enough around Newport harbor, with out being a barge. I paddled it Monday for about 2 1/2 hours, and loved it. I’m actually a bit bigger than you too, 6-4 and 240.

Don

Sit on Top
I’m 6’ 1" 300# and I paddle a Drifter from Ocean. It is wonderfully stable. He in deep Southeast Texas it is a perfect boat.

Lots of luck!

The xl suit should have had
the same zipper as the xxl but that leaves no room for errof in the laying out and construction. Without exact care suits would be wasted.

I could now fit into an xl if the zipper were larger but…

To kokatat’s credit they will fit an xxl ziper into the xl at mno extra charge, but then you usually lose the ability for a discount. A top flight manufacturer should use the zipper appropriate to the design, and that is the xxl zipper on the xl suit.

Cool Doc’s got a Prijon Kodiak for sale
in Urbana-Champagne. Just a hop, skip & a jump down the road from Chicago. Check out the Paddling.Net classified ads listings. Virtually brand new for cheap!

Gulfstream in Central IL
I’ve got a Gulfstream you can sit in and paddle if you’re ever in West Central IL (Galesburg, off I-80, 3 hrs by train). Or just roll out the red carpet, and a test paddle is yours! :^)

great tip, peter_k
thanks! I never knew that

stable big-paddler boat
I’m 6’00" & 230#

and the Eddyline Nighthawk 17.5 is the one of the best “big guy” boats I have ever paddled (I’ve paddled the Assateague, Tempest 180, and Tsunami). The first time I ever got in one, I let out an involuntary laugh: INCREDIBLY stable, yet turns on a DIME! (Owned a Nighthawk for a year, now paddle the shorter, squirrelier Gulfstream.) Writing because there are currently two (!) for sale in the area. One yellow, the other white. Both Kevlar for only $1800. Check out the Paddling.Net classified ads:

http://www.paddling.net/Classifieds/forSale.html?category=kayaksell&state=

(IL) 17.5 White Eddyline Nighthawk White Carbonite Modulus Kevlar (lightweight, durable) kayak for sale with skirt. Like new used 5 times, no scratches/dents, foreward aft storage compartments w/watertight covers, deck rigging, adjustable seats. Kayak is essentially new/new kayak cost $3000. Asking price $1790. Located in Quad Cities Iowa located on the boarder of Iowa/Illinois. See other ad for identical boat in yellow (49793) for sale also. Call 563-332-0036. – Submitted by: marla

Definitely worth checking out if you’ve never padled one. Light, and pretty to boot! Check out the Eddyline website (www.eddyline.com).