Big Wave Hold-Down... You Got This! (Maybe)

Smoke on the Water …

Maybe, in the states that it’s now legal, how about a ‘weed roll’ or the ‘roll a doobie’ trick

Central California Surf Kayakers used to sponsor an “Expression Session” every year in December at a notorious big wave beach near Vandenberg Air Force Base … the first year I attended there were indeed doobies in the line up.

Cheri Perry shared a story about a an Inuit GL qajaqer that could paddle capsized down over something like 100m. He smoked three packs a day. Greg S might know that gentlemen.

@Paatit said:
Cheri Perry shared a story about a an Inuit GL qajaqer that could paddle capsized down over something like 100m. He smoked three packs a day. Greg S might know that gentlemen.

Used to try some on that – probably an influence of the “Pond Scum” that used to congregate at Walden (of which turner wilson was an exponent). I couldn’t paddle straight at all. But, that was not really the point (for me) as much was practicing calm and holding one’s while trying to move.

sing

@sing said:

@Paatit said:

Used to try some on that – probably an influence of the “Pond Scum” that used to congregate at Walden (of which turner wilson was an exponent). I couldn’t paddle straight at all. But, that was not really the point (for me) as much was practicing calm and holding one’s while trying to move.

sing

Calm and holding my breath I felt/feel pretty good with, but my qajaq had to be skin tight low free narrow to get my arms around. I was never able to paddle upside down with any movement in my Arctic Hawk S&G for example/ photo if it links
qajaqusagallery.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=319722

I cheated in the upside down race at TC the one year. I just took off like a booh and stayed ahead of the leader and capsized as he was coming up for air. Crowd hated me there, I was banished.

@Paatit said:

Calm and holding my breath I felt/feel pretty good with, but my qajaq had to be skin tight low free narrow to get my arms around. I was never able to paddle upside down with any movement in my Arctic Hawk S&G for example/ photo if it links
qajaqusagallery.org/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=319722

I cheated in the upside down race at TC the one year. I just took off like a booh and stayed ahead of the leader and capsized as he was coming up for air. Crowd hated me there, I was banished.

Yeah, I tried only that with my first SOF, the Ronin, which was 17’x18", with a depth of about 8" at the back of the coaming. My second SOF, the Kaze, was built with the intention of being more a wave play boat. It had a wider beam at 18", a flatter (planing) bottom in the mid-section, more volume and a rocker that was two inches more on either end compared to the Ronin. While the frame is finished and sits on my backyard. I never skinned it as I had moved to another house, and got more into wavesking over “seakayaking”. So my intended “play” design has never been tested. Kaze’s bones sit sin the backyard and gets an oil coating twice a year. It is a source of wonderment for guests and friends who come over for cookouts. :slight_smile:

sing

an ‘older’ thread, but it is the time of year of cold water, etc.
Good article:

Can you survive if you run out of air?
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190423-the-man-who-ran-out-of-air-at-the-bottom-of-the-ocean

my summary from the article on how to survive a long time underwater:
be a small person, relax, and be in cold water

How BIG pf waves are you talking about. For me 10 foot is my max. I have never stayed under water even close to a minute. Are you paddling in 30 footers? Even then I cant see staying under water longer than a minute. A minute is a LONG time to keep a kayak under water. I never come out of my best flotation device the boat, . that’s just silly stupid. PS: White water is different story as a hole can hold you under. I don’t do white water like that. I let the white water guys talk about that. .