Binocular Recommendations..

binoculars
I thought I had posted this, but for some reason, I don’t see it, so I’ll try again.

Two that you might want to take a look at are;

Minolta Aptiva 8X40 WP-FP.

Pentax 8X40 PCF WP this also has a rubber sheathing.

WP=waterproof

FP=fog proof

PCF=I don’t have a clue

Both are in the $150 range

Frank

thanx!
Coffee, thanks for the link!

Frank thanks for the recommendations, actualy have been looking at some of Pentax’s binocs, heard good things about em.

Thanks all!

Actually it was mentioned, twice,
by me (in the third direct reply listed in the thread referenced by the fifth post to the current thread, as well as somewhere in the last big discussion we had on this subject, which is referenced somewhere).

BUT, you bring up a really good point that I wasn’t even thinking about when I wrote those posts. I only provided the standard guideline about what size exit pupil you need for dawn/dusk, and what size you need for night-time. The point about keeping the image easily aligned with your eyes and fully in view is pretty darned important.

I think you are so right about compact binocs. I’ve met a couple of people with very expensive 10-power compact binocs, and in both cases, once they looked through my rather cheap ($150) Pentax 10x50s, they said “these are great, I gotta get something like this”. I realize that some people here value compactness and waterproofness above all else, and that’s fine, but I’ve yet to see a compact binocular that provides a decent-quality image, unless you eliminate standard-style binocs from your comparisons.

Overlooked - sorry
GB-guy, you are correct: I overlooked your contribution. My bad – sorry. I’m not surprised at the positive response you got to your Pentax 10x50s – nice large exit pupil for good brightness and easy viewing, good heft to help hold them steady, good optics with top quality coatings.

No apology needed…
… though I can see that it might look that way. My purpose was not to “catch you making a mistake”, but to draw attention to my earlier posts about how exit pupil is related to overall brightness of the image and how well they binocs work in dim light. I figured it wouldn’t hurt to “refresh” the subject a little, as long as you brought it up.

Yes, I am pretty happy with the Pentax 10x50s. A guy I work with got a pair of Nikon 10x50s a few years ago, and I thought they’d probably cost quite a bit more than mine, but they were the same price, at $150. Real good image quality with those binocs too.