Binoculars

One time focus
I’ve never tried binoculars with one-time or fixed focus, but I suppose it’s an option. My guess is that you’re sacrificing a good deal of close focus and the ability to refocus on the fly, like when some neat bug lands on the bow.

The 28mm objective lens is on the small side; you’ll notice the difference in low-light conditions. The field of view can be narrower for “compact” binoculars, I believe.

Swarovskis are pricey indeed, as are Leicas and other high-end optics, but the view is absolutely stunning. Once you’ve used them, it’s hard to look through anything else. But the Rangers are a great glass for the price, and perfect for use in a boat.

As far as buying optics off of eBay, I have no experience. I have dealt with Eagle Optics in the past, with absolutely no problems. (And no, I don’t work for them!)

Cooldoc, you can get the swarovski pocket for less than 600 bucks.

http://www.swarovskioptik.at/english/produkt/index.asp?cat=Products&type=Binoculars&model=3

The smallest watertight compact binocular! Their minimal size means they will fit comfortably into any jacket pocket. No fewer than 16 lenses for an unexpectedly large field of view and brilliant, contrast-rich images – with a weight of less than 215 g (8 oz.).

Cheap waterproof binos
I see the discussion has gone to high end binos. If that’s what you’re into there’s definitely no substitute for expensive optics. If, on the other hand, you just want a decent knock-about pair of binos these are not bad.

NEW Vortex 8x26 Typhoon Binoculars (Yellow)

If you put that exact phrase into the eBay search bar you will get one hit. I bought a pair of these from this seller and the delivery was very quick. The binos come with a nice cordura case and what looks like a flotation neck strap. I haven’t tested the flotation and to be honest I’m a bit skeptical that the strap will float the binos. It may just be something to snag with a boat hook if the water isn’t deep.

I wear glasses but I always just lift them out of the way with the binos. I’ve only used them on land so far but I’m pretty sure the 8x is going to be tough to keep steady in the cockpit. I think anyone contemplating high end binos for on water use should be very sure they will actually be able to use them from a kayak. I have to agree that 5 or 6x is probably ideal.

…Mike

Just like the last Binocular post…
“Get the $5000 ones, they are the best!”

The poster didn’t add a budget line & the high-dollar" crowd voices…

I call them the “envy crowd” or the “wish list crowd”. They either want or would like the $5000 binocs, so when someone asks they say “this is what you should get”

It is just like the last binocular thread when a person asked for “inexpensive binoculars” and everyone voiced out “get these $1000 ones” & “get the $1500 ones”… Jesus, they are binoculars for kayaking, not search and rescue for the coast gaurd! So when I said “hey get the $30 Wal-Mart Simmons 10x”, I got my @$$ jump all over.

Plain & simply… I blame the poster for the mayhem & spin into bankrupcy… THey should’ve gave some sort of budget fitting…

Paddle easy,

Coffee

BTW, Themp, I still have the 10x binocs I will trade or the 20x monoc I will trade…

I did it, bought a pair.
I do not blame the original poster at all, coffee, as they have started a nice and informative thread, and everyone on here who has posted has enjoyed the interaction and information. Thanks, themp.

I did buy the Vortex on eBay, as suggested, thanks. It looks like a nice pair, and clearly states that it is submersible and is compact. Vortex, i see, also makes $1000 models, so they must know what they are doing (I cannot say the same for Tasco and Bushnell and others that basically make low end stuff exclusively). Also, the Vortex matches my kayak, yellow. :slight_smile: I bough the 8x, but I know what everyone on here is saying about stability in a kayak (I have a humongo pair of 24x, need a tripod). Anyhow, I will try to make due with the 8x as less mag was not offered on eBay. I do use them on land also, such as standing lakeside and trying to watch the beach… if you know what I mean. :slight_smile: I considered the more expensive ones, and think it is great that you have given info. I have zero doubt that the Eagle Optics ones would be superior, but heck, I will be bashing these around in my kayak and dropping them at the launch, better just get the higher end cheapies. And if for any reason they get flooded and moldy, I can go to Fred and Jo Blow at the factory and tell them to shove 'em up their butts. Hard to do that and walk away from a $1000 pair. Thanks.

Themp, what will you buy? Don;t leave us all in suspense.

Vortex information.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vortex-Typhoon-8x26-Binoculars-Rescue_W0QQitemZ7502739268QQcategoryZ83886QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note for others: these are the Vortex binos that I bought, the seller is Eagle Optics, and they have a special for free shipping from now until Xmas–the shipping that you see here for $7, when I emailed them, they immediately credited my Paypal account for the $7 shipping! No sales tax (unless in WI) Second point, they emailed me and stated that not only are these binocs submersible (they are nitro filled just like poster above educated me), they come with a float strap, free as part of the package! The strap included standard with this pair of Binocs is a floater! Anyhow, one idea for sure. I have no doubt the quality of the visual will not be as good as many of the other poster’s ideas on here, but they’ll work for me. Thanks for the tips.

Vortex here
Wow, fast free shipping. Here already and I only ordered 36 hours ago. They are nice, rubbercoated, and indeed the strap is a floater! Yellow is good. Nitro purged. The only thing I see as a negative is no lens caps. I’d likely fumble then out of the boat, but still would be nice to have. Does have a nice latching Cordura case though. Optics look good.

Rain guard
Cooldoctor - I never use the lens caps for mine as I always store them in their case. What you may find you’ll appreciate is something called a rain guard. It attaches to the strap and covers both eyepieces. Very useful if you keep your binos around your neck while paddling, as it keeps the water from splashing onto the lens - also the crumbs from your sandwich. Of course, if you’re gong to keep them mainly in your deck bag or whatever, then it’s a non-issue. I’m not sure if they come small enough for your Vortex, but it’s worth a look.

Okay. Thanx