Binos and kayaking

I’d like to see some manufacturer
advice against soapy water for reasons X or Y. Maybe they just want to keep you buying the cleaners.

But it’s rather complicated, and you end up with a more visible film than with soapy water.

OK, I do have some binos in lower magnification that I will try in next outing.

How ‘bout some discussion . . .
. . . of cheap waterproof binoculars that you would take on a kayak. I have some nice 8x30 Zeis but I ain’ 'bout to take them. I just ordered some Barska 7x32 for around sixty bucks. Seems like many of these binos are made by a few plants in China.

With one eye occluded by a cataract,
I’m switching to a monocular. Anyway, I’ve always found binoculars a bit harder to get aimed and focused than monoculars. And they weigh more and take up more space.

hot water; tripods & spotting scopes
I mostly use water hot tap water at home to clean the lens.

I’ve used “stabilized” binocs, wasn’t impressed much, especially considering the cost difference. Then again, that was just a pair I borrowed from a friend, so maybe you can find some that really work well at a reasonable price. If so, please post up.

In the last couple years, I’ve started using tripods to get a really clear view. I actually bought them for taking pictures and then noticed that my binocs had the same attachment point built in. I’ve got a 3-foot telescoping tripod and a 6-inch “desktop” (more often, bolder-top or fence-top or the like). After that, I found a good deal on a hunter’s “spotting scope” with adjustable mag up to 36X that fits the tripods.

Barska?
Roof binocs are supposed to be more reliable in water than porros. I have both and they have both passed the test (washing).

Some marine ones quit on me once though.

cataract?
You have to make the best of every situation, right?

If I were blind I wouldn’t need binoculars or polished glasses. Maybe I wouldn’t even need a kayak.

hot water; tripods & spotting scopes?
I have followed a similar path, and even have a cheap 16x binoc that works on the tripod. But the tripods are difficult to fit in the kayak, unless I find some kind of WP case. Then again, it wouldn’t be any good while on the kayak.

Anyone has experience with stabilized binocs?

Hey, I would hesitate to use hot water. At least not together with the spaghetties. :wink:

I use both IDs
so anything under EmmaP (my girlfriend) and Orlando means we are one and the same thing.

Just that I do the voting for prizes for her.

I had
a pair of 10X26 Barskas. Good for the price, but do yourself a favor, and rinse them in fresh water and dry them after use in or near salt water - I didn’t always rinse them, and the focus mechanism failed after about 3 years of use (Or abuse, really).

Other than that, I had no complaints.

Bino’s?
Get a waterproof monocular. Steady and fits in pfd pocket. VF.