blade offset vs not, Euro paddles

It’s there
Lendal has a system that allows you to change the angles and lengthen the shaft.

I am cheap, I use electrical tape then go with the manufacturers settings because they are very close.

OK I read it all.
Here is what I did and you can check this out right now.

Grab a paddle and sit on your office chair. Open the file cabinet drawer that is at the same height as the office chair.

This part is very important! CLOSE YOUR LAPTOP AND PUT IT AWAY NOW! don’t ask!

You are on the office chair.

Now with your paddle placed with the control hand where it should be put your feet on the open drawer (the same place they would be in a kayak right?) now watch the blade and do a normal stroke. If you keep the control hand firm you will see the angle of the blade likely changes from the left to right stroke as it would enter the water.

If you are very lucky this matches the feather that Warner has put on your blade. If not push the button down and spin the blade until it matches, (perhaps unfeathered) now put some electrical tape there and it should be perfect. It is slightly off for me so I either leave the tape there and have a one piece or put up with it.

Most WW and sea paddles have some sort of feather. I like it that way but a little less pronounced than the factory makes it.

In truth once you have checked this little experiment out it is all taste: But that experiment is worth doing. You do this in an office or kitchen chair because it allows you to sink the paddle in the water and see where it goes. Don’t do this on a table or the floor it won’t work: The paddle won’t dig into the water.

Oh! If you are not the boss in the office you may want to check out who is watching.

The Folks at Perception or MEC could likely get off with this.

The person doing a thesis in this is likely no better informed than you. It’s your boat, The width makes a difference; your body, height arm length and build make a difference; your paddle, length makes a difference; your money, what you buy will dictate what you do; your comfort. Everyone is a little different.

Alex

body mechanics-
Blade feather seems to be affected most by torso rotation vs arm paddling , try paddling using only your arms and you can see a large amount of shaft rotation , and if you paddle with your torso only there will be very little shaft rotation ,high angle and low angle paddling styles also have some effect on feather but in my experiences not as much as torso rotation.

Just my observations,

Bob

1 Like

Length, too

– Last Updated: Mar-25-08 6:27 PM EST –

I started with zero feather (220cm, then 215cm paddles) and last year changed to 15-deg feather with a 205cm paddle (ahhhh, shorter felt much better). The 15-deg felt pretty good. I borrowed a WW paddle that was noticeably shorter, either 30-deg or 45-deg feather (didn't really look--just felt like more than my own paddle). Surprisingly, the higher degree of feather on the shorter paddle felt good also. BUT when I tried 30-deg feathering on my 205cm paddle, it did not feel right. The shorter paddle allowed me to rotate more fully also.