blown hatches

common?
i don’t know about “common”…i regularly paddle surf and bump and as rough as anyone and have seen it only a handful of times in…in…in waaaay longer than i should be glad to admit.

most recently upta maine at cobscook reversing falls but i am not sure that was failure so much as the fella not putting them on correctly.

it was a cluster…poor fella had the day hatch off (it drifted right to me downstream…the compartment filled with water…and then the cockpit filled with water. he came outta the boat AND the plastic zipper across his dry suit blew apart (too much air in the suit and once he ended up in the water the air is going to find some way out)

that was an eventful rescue in the moving water.

tires
The acura needs new tires every year or two. Your kayak needs new hatch covers. Both are really important, and both wear out over time.

I have both VCP and KajakSport hatch covers, and they’re both very watertight. I find the VCP slightly easier to put on and take off than the KajakSport, and probably a bit more secure. On the other hand the KS last longer. They’ve each got advantages and disadvantages. No biggie.

nice stuff andy!
I like the ingenuity; I’m going to apply this to my boat.

Thanks!

few questions for you

– Last Updated: Sep-13-11 5:17 PM EST –

Did you 303 them regularly?

Did you store them inside during off-season?

How long did they last you?

I'm not happy with the price either but I don't expect them to last forever. I like the kajaksport hatches better also, but they don't float - no big deal if you tether them.

The system itself seems to me to be the best hatch system, but I agree with the post here by Delphinus re: seating the hatch cover.

hatches
I was up at the Cobscook falls in the spring checking it out from shore. I thought to myself it sure would be nice to see some yaks running the tidal falls to see how they made out.

Sounds like the fellow was having a time of it.