Boat? Getting back into kayaking ...

Stick to Valley then
Especially if you want build quality and lighter weight. But again, the T165 is a very good boat. Current Designs has several excellent boats. If you haven’t done so already read the thread on playful kayaks.

Yes read that thread …
… Very helpful and informative. Do you have thoughts on P&H? I looked at a Cetus today, and plan to demo the LV and MV versions tomorrow. They seem heavier than the Valley’s … specs say they are. The hatches did not seem as solid as the Valley, but the reviews I have read say they stay dry. It was hot today, and the P&H covers bulge up quit a bit. They also feel a little looser than Valley.

Since I’ve owned tempests I don’t plan to demo them … figured I’d get something different this go around.

"There’s nothing like a Valley"
If you like Brit boats then Valley is the first to try.

I would say that the Aquanaut LV might be what you are looking for as far as performance. I know it has been said, but also try a Nordkapp LV. You never know…

Last Spring we brought out all 6 of our sea kayaks for a couple to try. They had only been in rec kayaks. At these times, I assume that people will feel most comfortable in the Romany. Well, as it turned out, she felt most comfortable in my Aquanaut and he in my Nordkapp LV! But it turned out that he is a motorcyclist who has also spent significant time in canoes.

Cetus …
Had a chance to demo the MV version today. Tried the LV, but could not fit my feet under the deck with tevas on.

IMHO, felt like a fast boat, like the Aquanaut, but more manoverable. Not like a 16 foot boat, like the Avocet. The Cetus MV and regular size Aquanaut are similar lenght and width, but the Cetus MV has a lower deck and lower volume. Seemed to be able to get about the same edge with the same effort as with the Aquanaut, but the Cetus felt like it responded more … must be hull shape? Looks to have more rocker.

The biggest negative: 60 pounds in glass.

Sounds like I need to make a decision on what is more important to me: getting places, or playing. In that regard, the Cetus MV may be in the middle of the Aquanaut and Avocet.

valley, p&h, impex, NDK, etc.
All of these companies make ‘british’ style boats and I believe most if not all offer a lightweight option.

Open your scope to used boats and at least these brands and you’re apt to realize a good deal.

Rockpool TCC
All the boats you mentioned are great and either of the two finalists would be great choices, but I have another option to consider. First I must tell than I am the distributor, manufacturer of this boat.

If you get a chance to demo the Rockpool Alaw Bach TCC you might want to add it to your short list. It weighs 53# with hatch covers on etc… It is very well behaved in textured water and has good hull speed on the flat. It is made by Eddyline kayaks out of Carbonlite to my specs and we have had great results out here on the West Coast with them. There are several East Coast Dealers that have demo boats to try. You canfind a list of them at www.reednorthamerica.com. Welcome back the Ocean has been missing you!!

that’s my review
& while it’s true the Fuego is no longer made, you can still get hatch covers,other parts, gel coat, etc. from VCP which took over North Shore’s lineup a few years ago. I needed a replacement hatch cover - mine are both fglass and it had to be custom made. Got it -shipped from England in under 10 days from day of request.

Mike Nelson, the designer of all the NS boats, works there and handles these requests personally.

At your size you will find the boat a great fit for day cruising and play. A very friendly boat for learning skills. Did all my first rolls and rescues in my Fuego. You don’t have to watch over it, even in bumpy water. It excels there as well.

If you can get your booties under the deck, the Fuego’s low volume makes it shine going into the wind.

The cockpit is smaller, 16x26. Snapdragon XS for a great fit.

The 20" beam makes it quick, esp. for a boat of its length. The rocker makes for a shorter waterline, turns like a dream. W. its medium chine it’s fun to put on its side. I balanced braced in it the first time ever I tried.

Build quality is exceptional on the handful of North Shore boats I’ve seen. The layup seems very tough for under 50 lbs.

Blast of a boat, I love it.

There is also a very slightly longer and wider model, called simply the Shoreline, which is made in both glass and lately, under VCP in roto.

Many great boats to try, as Dr. Disco said don’t lock down on just the usual suggestions. The Shoreline Fuego is rare in the U.S. but quite wellknown and beloved in Scotland and northern England as well as much of Scandinavia and Japan.

If you’re close by the seller give it a try.

Did a little research …
… found a number of positive reviews on these boats … but all I found seem to be from several years ago, when these were made in England and glass? I found nothing on the US made plastic ones. There is a dealer local to me … they have an end of year sale going … would be a good deal price wise if it was glass, but seems a lot for plastic.

But I will take a look at them and demo if I can. And good luck to you as you expand distribution etc.

TCC
The material is quite expensive and while it is a polymer it should not be confused with polyethelene. Anyway, check it out and let me know your thoughts after you paddle it.

Cheers,

Chris Mitchell

shop
I am very surprised at what the shop said. You seem like the perfect fit for the Aquanaut. At 6’, with a 34" inseam , and size 11 feet I fit in. Although it is close.

Hoping to try the Aquanaut LV tomorrow
Against the Avocet. I think the shop was focused more on me wanting a light fun day boat, and less so on the part wanting a boat that also “gets there” in good time. The cleraly got the no expeditions, camping, etc part, so they may have turned off the Aquanaut option … execpt to illustrait the full size version as too much volume.

I also think they really like the Avocet.

I will try the Nordkapp LV as well, but that’s more advanced than my skills. Even if I can sit in it without going for a swim, or even manager to paddle it around the harbour, I would be out of my league with it in any open water conditions.

If none of these boats sing to me, as I’ve heard it put, then I’ll head to another dealer this weekend to look again at the Cetus MV and LV. I’m thinking the MV was too much volume and weight, but perhaps if I ditched the Teva sandles and tried those boot things that look more like rubber socks? That dealer also has the Rockool, so I may look at that too.

I may do that!
Are there any reviews you can point me at comparing to the glass ones? Maybe even by the same author? What I read on the glass ones seemed very positive, so comparing to the new plastic version would serve as a great benchmark.

Looking at the Rockpool website, no mention of the plastic ones that I can see … sounds like they are describing glass. Do you have glass ones too? Same dealers?

Uhhh…
I paddle my 165 with longer boats (QCC 700 included) and keep up just fine. On a good day I can whoop 'em! Seriously; the 165 does just fine alongside most boats.

Avocet… LV?
You’re the same height and weight as me and I paddled someone’s Avocet LV and liked it a lot. According to Valley’s chart we’re on the hairy edge of belonging in it but I thought it behaved nicely. If you have the chance to try one…

"I will try the Nordkapp LV as well,"
It rolls easily and quickly. Very easy to unintentionally windowshade… :wink:

Heavy side of the Avocet …
… what I’m thinking, looking at Valley’s chart anyway. Ideally I’d like more cruising speed than the Avocet. Maybe I’m not looking at this correctly … I’m looking to for a boat that puts me closer to the middle of the weight range. With a little longer hull for more glide speed.

Basically I want to paddle a for exercise, but have some fun along the way. Typically I pick a destination, paddle to it, then back. If I see something interesting along the way I may want to poke around. Maybe play in some waves, etc.

As I improve skills, I’m thinking those places will involve more open ocean, larger waves, etc.

I think the Avocet may be the boat, with the compromise being speed. There’s always a compromise. It felt to be roughly the same as my T165 for speed, which did annoy me at times.

But does it have any …
stability?

Some reviews say no it has no real primary or secondary stability, will respond instantly, and take you right over if you give it a hair more than you should have. I found another review that says the primary is there, just more sensitive, and no “push back” when go to far on the secondary … in other words no warning.

I have much to learn, but have been comfortable in all the boats I have tried so far, as well as the T165 glass in had for a year or so. I’ve paddled in 2 - 3 foot waves, but more typically 1 - 2 foot. I like waves, and want to get more comfortable there. I have pretty good balance.

So is the Nordkapp LV a boat some who fells fairly stable in at first can grow into? Or is it really just for the more advanced, and even those folks need to be on their toes at all times?

I don’t mind getting a boat that will push me to a degree, but with a more reasonable learning curve, and resting places along the way. I don’t want to be an undergrad trying to wall into a Phd physics class half way through the semester.

I like the Valley boats …
… Have always admired them over the years in the showrooms, but never ventured to try one. Kind of like looking at a BMW in the showroom, but knowing your wallet says Toyota.

The P&H Cetus is nice, but I like the Valley hatches and skeg better. The North Shore boats were nice too.

This time it will be a Brit boat, and Valley is top of the list.

Just found out the dealer near me has no Aquanaut LV’s in stock. He might have one I can demo.

Strange
I find the 165 perfect for what you want to do. Personally, I’m keeping my 165 and adding a more surfy, turny boat to the fleet for when I feel like it.

One size does not fit all …
… as the say.

I sold mine a few years ago after an injury … could not kayak. If I still had it today I would be using it.

But that does not change that, for me, I would have liked, at that time, a boat with more glide than the 165 had. Or dry hatches. I actually owned 3 tempests. 2 Glass, 1 plastic. Nice designs. Bad hatches. All 3 had leaks in various places. The last one was a glass 165. Poor workmanship all around. No other way to put that.

Both 170’s felt, to me, faster than the 165.

So here I am today, boatless, physically able to kayak again, and missing the ocean and the waves. Looking for a new kayak. Nothing wrong with the T’s, but want to go with something different. And one attribute I want is a little more speed for going places.