inflatables

Get a Folbot
I’d sell everything and get a Folbot…

or parents house, friends garage, storage shed, etc

-James

http://www.adventurecanoe.com

it’s a tough thing to have large items

– Last Updated: Nov-12-09 7:33 PM EST –

...... like canoes and kayaks close at hand if living in an apt. that has no yard space allowed for such .

A rental storage unit is a good idea for security and space requirements , but if it becomes a hassle to go load up because of distance , well it's a hassle then .

Most apts. (hopefully this persons') have a place where you can park trailered boats , campers , etc. . If so , it may well be worth the time , effort and expense for this person to rig up a multiple boat carry trailer that can be parked where they live in the apt. .

Rental storage units cost $$ , so would getting the trailer idea rigged up ... but at least the trailer for storage is close by and basically a one time expense .

As for security , lock down and covering , the imagination and readily available things are out there to deal with this aspect .

Think lots a boats on one trailer like an outfitter livery .

And for what it's worth , the trailer "does not" really have to be able to carry all these boats safely down the highway ... all need be is that it is a legally regestered trailer (even a light junker) that can be rigged just to store (hold) the boats on and never move !!

If I had a bunch of noes/yaks on a trailer in an apt. complex , I think I would find a way to put a nice looking cover over the whole deal to keep the neighbors happy and help eliminate nosey minds too .

The key here is if this person is fortunate enough to have trailer parking available at the apt. complex ??

Good Luck

ps., ... hi Tamia

That is a great idea!
and one I will keep in mind for the future, when I get too feeble to tote my Tupper up the stairs.

In my condo complex we actually have a boat rack right by the lake where I keep my little plastic kayak, but since I’ve had a canoe stolen off that before, and two kayaks have been stolen off the rack in the last couple of years, my adorable Vermont canoe is either on the water with me in it, on my car under my bedroom window and secured with lasso cables, or in my dining/living room.

I’ve gotten really good at getting it up the stairs and around the corners. Helps that it only weighs 25 pounds.

kayaks and cats in living room r a no no
cats and kayaks do not mix…if the kayak is right side up it just invites cats because it looks too much like a giant litter box

so turn the kayak upside down, put a pretty table cloth over it, pretend it is a low coffee table

a man I worked for years and years ago kept his canoe on his vw micro bus year round

I keep my kayak on my Rabbit six months of the year and on my patio the other six months

It was in my living room a few winters but that got old. I could store one here at work for $$ per month but just one narrow long kayak??

When the time comes I can afford a longer kayak I’m going to have someone install a bracket in my living room so I can hang it overhead for the winter months.

I have a plan. It will involve pulleys.

Even better
Sweeet - love the Clubman. My Cooper’s hatch touches the rack when open, although I am still able to access the boot and the strut keeps it from hitting too hard - but those van-style doors are perfect for allowing access under the stern. Too bad there was no Clubman when I was buying…

Corbett’s quote
My canoeing mentor was Roger Corbett, author of Virginia Whitewater. During the years I paddled with him, he lived in a townhouse and paddled a 16’ Intrepid. The canoe stayed on his van when not in use.

I once asked him if he was concerned about UV degradation of the hull, since it was constantly exposed to the sun. I loved his response. He told me his goal was to wear the bottom off the boat before the UV could damage the hull.

You can debate the practicality of his approach, but you have to admire the philosophy.

~~Chip

Definitely a Folbot!
This is a situation tailor-made for a Folbot. He won’t be sorry!

Alex

Check these photo out
fir some ideas

http://talic.com/opinion.php

Thanks Everyone!
Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies. I’ll be including a link to this thread in an upcoming “In the Same Boat” article, and will also be quoting some folks here. If you have pictures you want included in the article, drop me a line at tamia@paddling.net. Any photos are embossed with your copyright.

PS- Hi Pilotwingz. Good to hear from you, my friend!

Tamia

Contributing Editor & Weekly Columnist, “In the Same Boat”

the photos are great
Thanks for this post. This helps my overall long term planning.

u can use my blog in futue
http://sectionalseakayak.blogspot.com/

no identification needed. it has good pics. in the same boat sounds neat. good luck w/ your article, tamia. happy paddlin’.

ice9,
I wanted to thank you for posting the Talic link. I ordered a set of Seahorses for my adorable Vermont Tupper and couldn’t be happier with them.

Depending on the apartment…
maybe they could rig a kayak or canoe hoist above the stairs, if the stairway is locked or secured in some way. Also maybe under a staircase?

Happy apartment kayak dweller…
I have 3 kayaks (16ft, 13 ft and 10ft) and I live on the 3rd floor of 1100 sq ft apartment. Thankfully, the stairwells are wide and allow the portage of the kayaks up/down stairs. As far as placement in the apartment, I have two of them on their sides behind my couch on a long wall and one on it’s side in a long hallway. Being a bachelor helps because I don’t care about having the kayaks as living room decor. (Heck, I think it looks cool. LOL) My only complaint is that after a long day on the water, the yaks can be a tiring to get up the stairs. I feel that if one like to kayak they will find a way to make it work.

Cooper
Hi Carl,

You’ve got a Cooper? How do you like it? Since it came out it always looked interesting.

Bill H.

Just found an
outdoor storage area near my new townhouse. I already use a trailer, so we’ll put the six kayaks on it. Internet special of $13 per month.

it seems so obvious
I can’t believe it hasn’t been said: leave em on your car

APT MANAGEMENT
1st ask the management about storage on site… do they have designated areas for large items.

Would they object to a secure locker being built next to or near the renters apt that would blend in with the surroundings.

If not, then ask if they have any deals with local storage places.

Good car

– Last Updated: Dec-11-09 1:09 PM EST –

Hi Bill - love my Cooper - it's my daily driver. The back seats fold flat, plenty of room for excess paddle gear for two and a couple of boats on top. I have the base model and it's plenty fast. A turbo Clubman would be an awesome kayak hauler.
PS growing up my dad had Morris Minors - the Cooper looks quite a lot like it, makes me happy every time I look at it.