Boots for winter canoeing?

And, I have to admit, I did…
…witness on more than one occasion Doug whilst wearing those muckers perform an aerial pirouhette that could only be described as,

“Bantam Bootsy Baryshnikov Bandies 'Bout Above Banjo’d Bilges!”

Why, the sheer gravitas and force of his Saturn V-like, boot-boosted heavenly projection is no doubt, in my opinion, what sucked upwards that Old Town Discovery bottom into Hogbacked Sainthood.

Still, Doug. What made you choose “Muckers” over what truly must be, as the names state, “the Hoser Classic”?

Tommy NEOS (New Englander Observed Skyward)

NEOS question
I’ve contemplated the NEOS on multiple occasions. I own Chota Mukluks with the heel, and I also have the Muck boots. The problem is the stiffness of the support around the ankle hurts the bone on my ankle and after a while, I can’t stand it any longer. The other chotas that don’t have the strong support wrapped around the ankle, looks more comfortable, but has a flimsy sole which would be insufficient for my gravel bar hopping. Warmth isn’t an issue in my normal Texas paddles, but I don’t like wet feet during the fall and winter. My type of paddling involves repeatedly getting out of the boat at gravel bars, so my feet just can’t stay dry long.

I bought a pair of neoprene hunting boots that are comfortable, but on the hot side, plus they aren’t knee high and I have gone into water too deep for them more than once, making them useless for the rest of the trip. On multi-day trips, they become useless baggage once wet.

The question on the NEOS, is how is your footing with the NEOS? Are they slippery on muddy surfaces?

I really like the idea of wearing my regular hiking shoes under the NEOS, but have resisted springing for another expensive trial that might not work out.

Thanks for the heads up on the close-out and ebay suggestions. I’ll look into that.

I can wear a child’s size 5 if your kids have outgrown theirs! :slight_smile:

Jill

I’m with dougd
I bought the Muck neoprene top boots for my wife and I and we both like them. Knee high but you can roll the tops down if too hot or while walking so you don’t sweat too much. I think they are rated from -20 to 70 and are pretty comfy. I think the model is Wetland or Marsh or something similar. Mine retailed for around $135 but I got them on sale. Worth a look!

Tom

Which boot
The field or all conditions look to be very close.

both look good and i like the price on the all condtion at 80$ BUT 100$ isnt bad either.

Broken Links
It appears that your Muck boots link is broken :frowning:

Not a worry though, I got your back:

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/muck-boots-c-29_526_527.html

I hope this helps!