Boston Harbor water quality

Not only is it clean enough to roll in
…but you can just reach a palm down into Boston Harbor and take a mighty swig when you’re hot.

For what it is worth
I was born and brought up in Boston, and my play ground was Boston Harbor (City Point, Carson Beach, and Malibou Beach.

In the forties and fifties the harbor was about the grungiest place that you could imagine, but we didn’t know any better and the city fathers either didn’t know any better or didn’t care.

You could just about walk across the top of the trash that covered Fort Point Channel, and the only time you could see the water through the oil slick that covered the surface was when a shipped parted it.

It is now immaculate and the clarity is wnderful.

The city/state has come a long way in it’s clean up and My hat is off to them.

If they could just get rid of the nasty northern weather, the crooked politics, and the high taxes I could alsmost, (not quite though) consider moving back.

Do they still have the five mile swimming race out to Boston Light?

Cheers,

jackL

Fort Point Channel Is Now Prime

– Last Updated: Jul-26-07 9:45 AM EST –

real estate. I give the city credit for reserving a portion of property along it for the "Harbor Walk" which will comprise a trail that winds its way from the North End to So Boston/Dorchester to Quincy. Think it's great idea borrowed from the sea walk in San Diego.

Don't know about the Harbor Light swim. Last week, they did a lower basin swim in the Charles, right near the Espanade.

sing