Bow & Stern lines, to V or not to V?

your cute, "no worries!"
I agree, one shouldn’t worry all the time. The suggestion to use a tie down isn’t to instill worry in you or the person asking the question.

It’s because you cannot dictate the outcome of an accident or it’s energies.

No way !
then I would have no one to argue with.

cheers,

JackL

Projectiles , for sure …
… years ago , my nephew was driving through D.C. in a work van with one of those diamond steel cages behind the front seats .

He was traveling through an intersection (too fast btw) , and a Cab turned from the opposite lane right across his path . They collided very hard . The nephew hit the Cab broadside and the impact was huge .

His van nearly stopped instantly , the rear end jumped upwards and the drive shaft disconnected shooting into the auto behind him . A measuring weight set (used for calibrating food scales) , came hurtling forward into the steel protection cage .

These weights split the cage open right behind his head , but did not make it all the way through . Lucky he had that cage there for protection !!

He survived the accident although he did completely crush the steering wheel into the dash with his body and tore the wing vent out with his arm .

The forces that can be generated in a split second during some auto impacts are mind boggling . I have no idea of the ratios regarding velocity and object weight in ft. pounds generated , but the multiple factor must be incredible for those small calibrating weights to almost break through one of those steel cages …