Bow & Stern tiedowns...objective?

One of those things
Bow/stern lines are one of those things that you won’t “need” until it’s too late. Same as seatbelts and bicycle helmets.

You might also consider that even expensive racks rely on mechanical devices and are subject to failure. Maybe a bolt in a tower cracks from improper heat treating. Maybe a pintle in the ratchet of one of your straps breaks. Maybe the stitching on your strap gives way. It could be any number of things that goes wrong. Yakima and Thule are not magicians and they can’t achieve perfection. Which is why if you ask either of these companies, they will tell you “use bow and stern lines.”

Things you need
I have been paddling for 4 years and have never “needed” the following: pfd, vhf radio, flares, water purification tablets, knife, paddlefloat, cell phone, spare paddle, rope, or bow and stern lines.

I will continue to have all of these for as long as I paddle.

I heard this comment…
from a fisherman the last time I was on the Tickfaw: “I saw a couple of those kayaks laying on the side of the Interstate on the way here…”

It takes me all of 60 seconds to add bow and stern tie downs. I don’t see what the big deal is for the additional peace of mind. I was also real happy I had them crossing the Mississippi River brige at Luling in a 40 mph wind.

50 mph frontal crash test.
I had my 60 pound plastic Alto upside down on the roof, cockpit on a piece of carpet with two webbing straps through the doors, and bow & stern tie downs. Right in front of me, a teenage girl in her mom’s Volvo wagon full of friends blew through the stop sign of a cross street. The impact totalled both cars, but everyone luckily walked away. Without the tie downs, I can only imagine what that Volvo would have looked like with a kayak sticking out of both sides. Those kids don’t know how lucky they were. Interestingly, the weakest link in the system was the “S” hook supplied in the Riverside car carrier kit – it straightened right out. Since then, I’m always aware that the tie downs are the last line of defense.

holy crap Dave
when did this happen?

tie me canoe/kayak down mate
Bow/stern tie downs. When you need them, you got them. When you don’t, you have peace of mind. I’ve crossed the country both east to west, south to north and back again with boats tied bow and stern and never had a problem. I shudder to think what might have happened the time I was driving South of Norman, OK. and the wind was gusting 65 mph. It nearly blew my old van off the road and probably would have the boat I was hauling on top if not tied down.

Thanks
for the info. I always used bow/stern lines…I just didn’t quite understand the importance. Something I did to help prevent rub against the paint on the vehicle was create attachment points under the hood. I went to the fabric shop and bought a couple yards of nylon used to make straps and some 3/8 grommets. Cut 16 inches and folded it in half and installed grommet 1" from the end where the ends meet. Under the hood of my Explorer, I found a bolt just under the edge of the hood about 12" behind each headlamp. I backed each bolt out and threaded each bolt back through the grommet on the strap. The straps fold out and I have two 5" loops to hook my bow line to when car topping. When I’m not car topping, I pop the hood and fold the loops in and shut the hood and they are concealed and out of the way.

One more question
I have read the bow and stern lines should be “taut” rather than “ratcheted down” so to speak. When tying off the bow line in two places on the front of the vehicle, instead of using hooks or clamps, would tautline hitch knots suffice? I wonder this in the event the bow line were to ever break or somehow come loose, the idea of a metal hook or clamp hitting the windshield concerns me.

truckers hitch
I tie it so it won’t flap around but it’s not tight. Metal hooks,cam straps and especially ratchets bother me. A hook can get unhooked, the other mechnisms are for applying mechanical advantage to crank somthing down tight. besides the webbing flaps more.

That was almost two years ago.
That’s why I’m driving a 2004 Corolla instead of my 2000 Corolla. Same color though, so maybe no one noticed the new car. The boat survived the crash without a scratch, by the way. I now use beefier “S” hooks which I crimp mostly closed. Based on your advice, I also make sure that the ropes are not long enough to ever touch the ground if they became unhooked on either end. The ropes just span the distance from my hood loops to the bow.

Good point Dave
Driving over a bow or stern tie down that is too long, and accidentally left laying on the ground, can ruin your boat, and thus your whole day. I’m getting into the habit of daisy chaining my tiedowns as soon as they are taken loose.

BOB