Bracing....to prevent a roll situation

Too much thinking…
“The overly intellectual types take longer, and sometimes not all, to get to point of understanding that their own thinking is getting in the way of the body learning.”

Aging can also do this to us sing. I used to ride my skateboard on my hands until the road ran out. As we age we lose that edge, the hormones etc. So I think we actually have to re-learn to let go of our inhibitions.

Agreed
Agreed - there is a balance to be struck. The art, I presume, is in finding that balance . . an approach that is somewhat unique to each of us.

Western culture often assumes that we can intellectualize our way through any challenge. Our education systems presumes a one-dimensional view of intelligence and hence closes the door to the possibility of alternate learning mechanisms. Other cultures are less rigid regarding alternative paths to understanding.

Our over-reliance on the intellectual view of intelligence also plays against visceral or intuitive knowledge. Further stacking the deck against those that pride themselves on their cognitive abilities to come to understand the nature of boats and paddles which is so often counterintuitive. There are few if any secrets left to be discovered relative to the science of paddling and yet can anyone really learn to paddle by reading a book? Alternatively there will always be more we can learn about the art of paddling.

My current approach is to remove the conscious mind from the equation as much as possible. Dispose of all the intellectual baggage that forces us to perceive the world in a rigid manner. If we can clear our minds of all the presumptions, expectations and false logic - then we are better able to learn directly from the experience itself. I can think of no better teacher.

jed

Again, there were hormones AND pot
back then. So on to the real world…

"Queen Anne’s salute"
I think that’s what I saw it labeled as…

You put the paddle in a completely vertical position. For example, to practice the high brace on the right side, you put the paddle on the left side, vertical, next to the cockpit. Literally fall over on the right side–the vertical left-side paddle makes sure that YOU hit the water first–and when the top blade hits the water, brace on that while doing the head dink.

At first, I discovered that my left-side high brace was shaky. A few sessions of practicing the QAS on both sides fixed that. It’s also a nice way to cool off in hot weather.

side surfing low brace
Try getting stuck in a hole sideways - to move forward, you work a high brace/forward stroke hybrid. To move backward, you work a low brace/reverse stroke hybrid.

If you are thinking of bracing…

– Last Updated: Dec-03-07 12:06 PM EST –

then it's too late.
For a brace to be effective it has to be reflex.
I learned by sidesurfing small holes. YMMV

And yes often a forward stroke is the best brace, especially if you are on your offside with a canoe paddle. Um make that a cross forward!

Some years ago a guy who calls himself the Riviera Ratt posted the Rat's Rules on rec.boats.paddle.
IIRC
"Ratt's Rules
If you can ballance, you don't have to brace.
If you can brace, you don't have to roll.
If you can roll, you don't have to swim.
If you can swim you don't have to drown."

Words to live by.