bread and wool

I am looking for a couple of good websites for bread recipes or recipes in general for canoe/camping. Can someone suggest a couple of good ones? A search brings up a lot of sites. Someone must have a favorite(s). Thanks

I am looking for merino wool pants. Something light wt or med wt. Can anyone suggest a place to try? I have done a search and found only one site which was dress pants. I need something a little heavier for canoing. Thanks

Case

do a search
for icebreaker or ibex or smartwool. Icebreaker cured me of being a long term fleece-aholic.

Lyn

sea biscuit
Hardtack is an interesting possibility for a traditional voyaging ration.

http://www.kenanderson.net/hardtack/index.html

…Mike

Smart wool
Smartwool is Merino wool. You should be able to find it just by doing a search on smartwool.

Not together, I hope
For wool pants, check out Sierra Trading Post. Most wool pants are not merino wool, but ya never know what STP will get in, and they have some great deals.

For bread recipes, do a search on “Navajo fry bread” or “Indian fry bread.” I just surfed for them last night and google came up with a huge load of hits. The recipes vary slightly, but basically the mix contains flour, baking powder, salt, and powdered milk. Sometimes a bit of lard cut into the dough. You could make a prepared mix (without lard) and fry it at camp. The fry bread I’ve eaten in restaurants was deep-fat-fried, but it can be pan-fried.

I’m going to make some on my next trip. The stuff is addictive.

Now I just gotta buy some of that high-gluten Bluebird flour from Cortez, CO…

Depending what you need, …
Merino wool is great, but for pants you may find regular wool to be just fine. I have a pair of Filson wool pants (I think they call the material “whip cord”) that are really nice for the same kind of weather in which you’d normally wear jeans, though I generally wear them in cooler weather along with polypro longjohns. By themselves (no longjohns) they are quite comfortable with no “itch factor”, but in warmer weather when longjohns are too warm, I generally leave the wool at home and just wear cotton, so the non-itchiness isn’t a factor for me (in warm weather, I generally wear cotton because for me, wool is much too expensive to needlessly “wear it out” in conditions when it’s not greatly needed in the first place). Anyway, as long as you might be looking into clothes that are as pricey as Icebreaker, you might want to check out Filson too (also pricey), since they have a long reputation for making incredibly well-made and durable clothes.

Merino wool bottoms
If it has to be merino wool, you’ll have better luck in the cycling tights arena. Even though wool has become less common than various high-tech combinations of synthetics for bike tights, you can definitely still buy itch-free, machine-washable merino wool tights.

Make sure the moths won’t get at 'em, pants or tights.

Sportsmansguide.com
I bought 2 pair of these a couple of years ago. Very nice investment for cold/cool weather canoeing and camping. The price is RIGHT!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=151230

They have other selections to choose from:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=ad%2Fother&s=SEARCH&a=search&k=wool+pants

Cache lake breads
It is hard to go wrong with these wonderful pan breads. Cache Lake is a brand name that has a number of different types, pre-packaged to fit in a small skillet or pan. They aren’t inexpensive, but they really do taste great and are very easy to make.

If you want to make your own, you can use about any quick bread/biscuit recipe. Make it a little thinner than a biscuit but keep it thicker than a pancake. Pour it in a pan with a small amount of oil. Cook one side, flip, cook the other. The only complication is how much the recipe makes; you might need to scale it down on a trip with a small pan. Make sure your bread recipe doesn’t use yeast unless you like baby-sitting bread. Personally, I’ve used them on a lazy lay-over day because I enjoy making real bread, but for most people it’s probably not too practical.

Pam

C.C.Filson Co.
Filson, out of Seattle I believe, makes quite a few wool pant, shirt and jacket styles from mid to heavy weights, but most likely NOT Merino wool, though of a very high build quality. Ya should be able to pass the stuff down to yer kin.

Olga’s Flat bread
Olga’s Kitchen Bread

1 cup milk

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup margarine

1 teaspoon salt

2 1/4 teaspoons (1 package) active dry yeast

1/4 cup warm water

1 teaspoon granulated sugar

4 cups all-purpose flour, divided

1 egg

Scald milk, remove to large bowl. Add honey, margarine and salt to milk; stir until margarine is melted. Set aside to cool until lukewarm.

Combine yeast, warm water and sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour to lukewarm milk mixture and beat well. Mix in egg and yeast mixture. Add remaining flour, a little at a time, until sticky dough is formed. Turn out on a floured surface; knead about two minutes. Dough will be sticky, but don’t add more flour. Place dough in oiled bowl, turning once to oil whole surface of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm place until doubled in bulk.

Punch down dough; divide into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece to a thin rough circle about 8-10 inches in diameter.

Heat a large dry skillet over medium-high heat; do not use any oil. Bake 15 seconds, flip and bake about 10 seconds on other side, until mottled brown spots appear. Cool and store in a plastic bag.

I want to give this one a try in the field. Make the dough at home. It travels well in the form of lightly oiled golf ball sized dough balls. You can flatten it out on a plate in the field and fry it up in minutes. I think it would make a good compliment to CoffeeII’s meat cookies.

Jim

Eropean Military Surplus

– Last Updated: Mar-17-06 1:05 PM EST –

Wool pants were, and still are, standard issue items for most European armies. Not Marino, but very cheap, and if you wear under long johns they won't itch.

Google European military surplus

Wool is good because it doesn't melt when the campfire pops an ember on you. I have lots of burn holes in my camping stuff, but I still ue the fleece because it is lighter and more comfortable.

outback oven
If you really want to bake instead of fry bread on camping trips try the outback oven. Their website is

http://www.wildernessdining.com/cookware.html

There is a .pdf file of recipes made for the outback oven including breads. I think it’s a $6.50 download and well worth it.

The oven seems like a joke when you read about it but it works brilliantly. I made a cake for my kayak-camping buddies after a dinner recently when I first got the ‘oven’ and it came out great even though the local bodega didn’t have eggs.

The oven folds down flat, and with it’s accoutrements the whole thing fits into my pot sack, so with no extra space and minimal weight added I can have fresh baked whatever, whenever.

Lyn

Double Rise Bread
From the Adventures of Scooter and Hal. I’ve used this several times with amazing results. Only drawback is that it really needs to be done in cooler weather and one needs a reflector oven or some sort of substitute. Hasn’t been much leftover but crumbs.

dougd

ADVICE ON BECOMING A DOUGH BOY

by Scooter

Bread! It has been the staple in man’s diet for eons. For some, these days, the way to make it is plug in the machine. Phooey! I say!! Get your hands dirty with dough, your face smudged with flour, and your nostrils will be in heaven when it cooks, the odor permeating your abode! When you cut into that first loaf, the texture of the cooked dough will turn you into Pavlov’s dog and you’ll leave a puddle on the floor. As your friends and loved ones chow down on the glutonous ambrosia you’ll swell with pride at your accomplishment!

So, what does this have to do with canoeing and camping? Try this out! First, go get yourself a reflector oven, under 30$. Next, open up your cookbook and find a recipe for DOUBLE RISE bread. Follow the directions making note to not let the liquid get to hot or not hot enough. Around 120 degrees will activite the yeast nicely. When the first rise is done cut your dough into loaves and wrap, first lightly coating with vegetable oil (that’s what I use, anyway) Now, pop those babies in the freezer and wait for the next trip.

So, here you are on the river. The sun is setting, the fire is blazing, and your newly purchased reflector oven assembled. Place your gorgous loaves of DOUBLE RISE bread in the reflector oven and get comfortable near-by. The trick here is to make sure you are near enough to check the dough often. I cover mine with some foil but don’t completely wrap them. If your oven is positioned right, your fire is good, you should notice the dough rising. In about an hour you’ll have dough ready to cook. I leave it in the reflector oven, crank the fire some and watch as those beauties turn a golden brown.

Patience is the key here. When you have the boys fighting over the last piece like a bunch of dogs in heat you’ll know you done good.