broaching

Orion
That and the Explorer handle a following sea well (OK I thought so) The xplorer’s skeg rarely works and the Orion does not have one.

I simply try to keep up with the wave, lean sweep and do the odd rudder stroke. When I get broached its a breaking wave, I just lean in and enjoy the ride.

A trick that works for me…

– Last Updated: Apr-28-08 7:05 PM EST –

First, attempt to prevent broaching in the first place with edging and sweeps and some ruddering.

If you do begin to broach then use a high rudder and edge away from the way you want to turn (edge away from your rudder).

If this does not seem to be working as you start opening up the blade then try momentarily edging in the opposite direction TOWARD, the way you want to turn / toward your stern rudder. You can even turn your blade over to a gentle low brace in order to add some support. Remember that a stern rudder and low brace are differentiated by only a few degrees of paddle angle....and you edge away from the rudder and towards the low brace turn.

I have found that this sometimes helps you to break loose. After doing so then switch back to ruddering and edging away.

Matt

Trim
The way a boat is trimmed can significantly alter the way it behaves in following seas.

Not that that helps at all if you are way out when a following sea kicks up.

But if you have the chance to experiment, try different trim conditions to see which one works best for your boat.

I paddled a Gulfstream for years
I liked the boat but did find it a PIG in following seas. I have found the other boats I paddle with less beam to perform better for me.