bug spray?

ah rats
I still may pick one up.

I know when we go north in late summer, the mosquitos have dwindled to almost nothing by end of August. Along with the humidity.

An aside
The mosquitoes on the Liard River in Northwest Territories landed on the Thermacell…

then on us…

I’ve found out that what works for bugs in the North is less than useful in the Everglades. The Everglades skeeter just sneers at DEET. Lemon eucalyptus oil is less to its liking.

Its possible I got a Thermacell DUD.

WARNING! Iffin’ yer gots cats or fish…

– Last Updated: May-02-14 1:17 PM EST –

"Permethrin is a common synthetic chemical, widely used as an insecticide, acaricide, and insect repellent. It belongs to the family of synthetic chemicals called pyrethroids and functions as a neurotoxin, affecting neuron membranes by prolonging sodium channel activation.

It is not known to rapidly harm most mammals or birds, but is dangerously toxic to cats and fish."

http://www.icatcare.org/permethrin/owner-info

FE

DEET but if you cant
I found this website that did a comparison and of course DEET was best but if you can tolerate DEET like me then Bite Blocker is best rated with no DEET. DEET gives me a NASTY head ache. I bought some last year and it seems to work ok.

http://www.bug-spray.org/4Comparison.html

anything that eats through plastic

– Last Updated: May-02-14 4:07 PM EST –

can't be too good for you-DEET- but I've used it all the same, kept my deet and a swiss army knife in the same pocket all summer once- it ate up the plastic on the swiss army knife- thats when I started thinkin' about how much I was using. I also believe its no advantage to buy concentrations greater than lets say 75%. The Muskol and Bens work the same as some of the cheaper stuff. Diminishing returns after a certain percentage.

Funny! and Thanks
Landed on the thermacell! I’d call that ineffective!

And thanks for offering up your blood to find out what works, or not. You need to find a way to market your research–bug products by geographic area.

~~Chip

Yep, Up Nort hereabouts it’s deet
Also Cliff Jacobson’s recommdation at Canoecopia “the more DEET the better”.