Building a canoe

Osprey but…
At one point at least Green Valley and John Winters were offering custom designs.

I’ve often wondered if John could make the Osprey’s rocker more symmetrical without compromising the efficiency and stability.

If I decide to build that will be something I’ll ask for.

Cool
So how do you think the stock 15’er would handle river tripping with moderate WW (say low class II)

I’d like to have another SRT, pretty perfect boat for my intended use, but on the other hand I’d like to paddle a boat I built. I really wanted to strip an SRT.

The Passage seems
to like the moving water and handles the lakes well.

I have never loaded up any of my solos to be able to give you a factual reply. I feel that it would be good but before I tell you to make one I again extend my offer. Get down here try my passage(xl) try RedCrossRandys passage(xl) and his Merlin (Bruce Kunz design not Charlie Wilsons)Heck for grins and giggles we could try to put you in a kruger designed Kboat (Dave Kruger not Verlans design.

Modified Passage
Thanks for the offer, as much as I’d love to take a road trip to test paddle some boats, it’s pretty unlikely that will happen.

I have the plans for the Passage and am considering some mods. I’d like to make the max beam 1" less, add 1" to the depth, lay the bow stem out, and add a little more flare to the bow.

I guess the next step would be to cut some modified stations and put them on the strongback and check for fairness with some test strips. Actually the next step will be to decide to move on this or put the funds towards a new SRT.

But there is something to be said for paddling a boat you’ve built yourself from some cedar boards purchased at the local lumber yard… But on the otherhand I don’t want to put a lot of time and money into building a boat only to wish I would have bought another SRT…