Building A Kit

yes,pick the kayak first
It’s been a couple years since I last made an epoxy/ply kayak. Like a lot of folks i got into building because it’s fun but there are enough folks getting sensitized to epoxy that it’s worth considering whether a construction is something you’d make just because you want “to make a a kayak” or become one of a series of constructions looking for a particular handling kayak. The reason for phrasing it this way is that if you get sensitized at the second, sixth or tenth construction then that’s it,you aren’t building anymore. Somewhere between my 9th and 10th construction I started getting flu like affects from exposure (with respirator, etc.) and now my face gets tingly, red from prolonged exposure. I’m thinking it won’t be long before any skin contact will result in a rash but the other effects are enough to say this is probably the last epoxy kayaks I’ll build. I’ve seen folks who’ve got systemic skin rash from contact with epoxy over time and a few folks develop a reaction with the first or second construction.

Unfortunately wintertime is often considered the best time to build because of inclement weather for paddling. For the average person that means a basement or one/two car garage with the heater running. Which is the best environment for concentrating exposure. The best environment if temperatures cooperate is an open garage door,since most folks don’t have heated industrial bays with 15’ ceilings. If you really hope to build a bunch and are working in the garage take advantage of spring-summer weather so the garage door can remain open.

There’s definately a correlation between skin contact and developing a sensitivity.

This is a roundabout way of saying that a lot of the kayaks I built were learning experiences,(CLCPatuxent17,Northbay),or someone elses(Pax20prototype),and were one less kayak I could built later on. So if handling is important,and you’ve got some expectations in how a kayak should respond then research it.

Stitch and glue
is what I recommend as a first kayak to build if you have never worked with epoxy before. They are easier and quicker to build with less chance of error. I am in the process of building a Pygmy Arctic Tern Hi. I hadn’t really given thought to building a stripper, but after hanging around at http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/ and seeing what those good folks have been building, this may not be my last boat!

Boat Plans
Check out

www.riverratkayaks.com

cool boats, cool price!

any more photos?
do you have links to anyones building sequence of them?