Building an outdoor boat rack

Pairs of 4x4s in the ground with 1/2"
galv pipe stuck into them on both sides working great for me, and my friendly local outfitter’s rentals. Put 4xs in deep maybe with a bit of post set crete. Drill 7/8" holes on a slight down angle almost all the way through, spaced in height to the depth of your boats. Stick in 24"-30" pipes and cover them with swim noodles. Each pair of 4x4s carries 8 poly boats. Easy to adjust pipe heights by drilling other holes. Can drape a tarp over the whole works. I stick the same pipes into holes drilled into the edge of 2x4s under my deck and into studs in the shed. R

That’s a cool idea
I’ll keep it in mind for my next rack.

That reminds me
Although I didn’t need any more capacity, the A-frame design will accommodate longer cross bars if you need to carry additional boats outside the frame, similar to what Doug did here.

Wind can be an issue
My rack is pretty sheltered, but it would still get moved around if I didn’t stake it down. All it takes is 5/8" holes in the uprights and some 2’ rebar stakes and it’s very solid. I also tie the ends of the cover down, but that’s mainly to keep them from flapping.

I like it very much, too.
Mostly for it’s economy of labor and materials, simple functionality and easy portability, disposibility or re-use. In this case, less is more.

Overkill??
but keeps 'em covered.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=818794&id=1541869644