building my own tow line

attachment point behind the seat
Didn’t know about that. Sounds like good system for calm water.

I carry a Salamander throw bag/tow line pretty much regularly. It takes most of the drama out of boat recovery in rougher water. It attaches around my waste but has a quick release buckle.

Huh?
Am I reading correctly that there are people on the forum recommending fastening a tow line on to the canoe/kayak that is actually doing the towing?

I learned long ago that you never pull a canoe by attaching a line to both canoes. I have to believe that that applies to kayaks also.

Common in a good deal of literature,
but always with a quick release mechanism.

It works for me
and has come in handy. There when I carry a chain and lock my kayak to a tree or pole. Sure someone could steal it but it lets them know that it isn’t a loose or lost boat.

The thought of having a rope or strap around me for a kayak is dangerous even if it has a quick release bucket. Something could go wrong.

true … but
… having a tow line attached to your boat where you can’t readily release (especially under tension) it isn’t exactly full proof either.

Also, a belt around the waist provides better and quicker feedback about changes in tension.

FWIW

Huge
misconseption going on as to how a Deck tow is rigged…best long distance rough water Tow system on the planet (my opinion only)

Here is a picture of a Salamander belt tow rigged as a deck tow system. it can also be removed and since the belt is on it, can be given to someone else to tow with even if their boat doaent have a jam clete and fairlead on it.

the other picture is of an old Stolquist piggy back throw bag rigged as a deck tow. This has had a bungie added on the inside to lessen the jerk factor. It can also be removed from the deck and if near caves or bad cliff situations , can also be used as a throw bag.

both systems work, depending on where you paddle, and both can serve multiple duties.

http://www.geocities.com/roym52/Deck-Tow-System.jpg

Best Wishes

Roy

Looks like a great setup! NM

how to make your own tow line
1. buy a tow line

2. save all tags and receipt

3. reverse engineer

4. return purchased tow line to store with tags and receipt

I agree but remember
I’m paddling Class I&II or flat water and can paddle hard enough to keep slack out of the rope. One of the problems here is… we don’t have all of the facts. What works for me might not work for you and vissa versa (sp). It takes lots of practice for paddlers to understand and know what is the best solution for them.

Richard

http://tinyurl.com/2b73f4