Buying a PDF?

You win, gdy.
Your desire to win this meets my fatigue of arguing with you. Do what you want, advise people as you will, people probably give both our perspectives far less weight than you would like to think they give yours, and that’s probably a good thing. Hopefully people are putting far mor weight into what they learn from qualified courses, published books, and their own careful experience than from google searches or a couple of yahoos like us on p.net.

Holy Cow! You 2 are something!
It is like watching the debates on TV. When Obama an Clinton are attacking each other. The more they do that the less I think of either of them. shrug Did you guys even notice that I bought a PFD already?

You must be new here.

– Last Updated: Mar-10-08 10:38 AM EST –

Threads started by one person often bring up larger issues that get debated by two or more other people. Because the posts in this forum get archived and later retrieved by other people looking for answers to the same question you just asked, it's not just about you and whether or not you got the answer to your question. Therefore, regulars on this site want to make sure that the information that goes into the archives is complete and discusses all possibilities. Though g2d and I disagreed on this issue, both of us were coming from the same motivation, to stress the POV we thought would best serve future readers of this thread.

Yeah, and actually I agree about 60%
with Reefmonkey. Probably a lot of PFDs look ratty enough by 5 years that their owners should replace them. And a 3 to 5 year replacement recommendation is just the sort of thing I would expect the USCG to make. I just wanted to see it in print, along with whatever empirical or experimental data they based it on.

Reading between the lines on the USCG stuff I can find, their reasoning seems to be to get people to get people to USE their PFDs, and worry about issues like replacement once people are “users.” They seem to avoid bringing up issues to the general public that would discourage use, such as replacement and the cost that brings.