Buying My First Kayak! Need Advice

Dagger boats
there was an Orange Dagger Discovery in fine shape at the gear swap held by Riverside Kayak

Connection this past Saturday in Wyandotte MI.(SE Michigan less than an hour from Toledo)

Don’t know who owned it - store or private party- but it was still there. If you go to www.riversidekayak.com you can email the owners Tiffany or Patrick they could probably tell you how to track down that boat.

In the paddling.net classifieds there is a classic Dagger called the Crossfire for sale at a price close to your dream range. Dagger was as close to an all around boat as anything made in the 90s (this boat is 1996, which is fine if the plastic is good and thick, not brittle)

It’s in Ohio and listed w. a phone number.

Happy hunting.

Thanks
I just want to say thanks to everyone for helping me on this…

All this and no mention of the Pamlico
140? Veritably the “master and commander’s” vessel of choice, it can do anything.

Seriously now, grade 3 whitewater is categorically defined as “hard” whitewater. I couldn’t imagine wanting to paddle grade 2 or 3 whitewater in any of the boats listed above. The very idea of paddling a Pungo with it’s 6 foot long cockpit in a grade 3 rapid sounds about as fun as riding a horse in a hail storm. I would define what it is you will actually be doing, then buy a used boat suitable for that. When you feel ready for grade 2 or 3 then buy a used whitewater boat and deck for that. You can get a really good deal on an adequate for the application used ww kayak for your first runs. Grade 3 doesn’t sound like much in the present Youtube era, but the difficulty within that rating encompasses an enormous range of technical demands, hazards and the awesome power of the river. Don’t take that lightly.

Dogmaticus

Also , look at the Tarpon family of
Sit On Tops. I’ve used my T160 on creeks and small rapids and had a ball. A used T140 or T160 can be had for $500.

I paddle mostly
the type of water you describe. I have an Old Town Loon 120 for sale (listed on pnet but maybe sold) that does fine in the class I’s. Class II is pushing it a little but you can get by if you don’t mind getting splashed. You can put on a cheap nylon skirt but I prefer not to. I wouldn’t try class III in this boat. IMHO, a 12 foot boat is a good compromise of speed, tracking, and maneuverability.

I also have a Dagger Approach. As previously posted, this boat is fine in the rapids, but is slow on the flat stretches. It works though.

I have a Tarpon 120 (yes, they call me Mr Kayak, LOL) This boat may be a good compromise for fishing, light rapids, tracking, and speed if you don’t mind a SOT.

My Tsunami 125 is my fav overall boat but is not perfect for the conditions you describe. It is also well out of your price range new.

There truly isn’t one boat that will do it all. I had to figure that out the hard way. I would just try to find a used boat that covers some of your bases and dive in. It is highly likely you will eventually end up with multiple boats as I did. Hope this info helps.

One more thing.
I am 6’ 225# so am about the same size as you are. :slight_smile: