Buying Used

dealers
cost for a Vela, is a little proud of 2,000

last years models should sell off the show room for around 23 something…used from a person all glass boats can be found eventually for 1600 to 1800 and doun to around $1200…then the real deals start, but they take time to find.

any repair and they drop to around 1500 or so

A good dealer that runs a rental has to sell boats to replentish the suply of rental boats with new models and shinny looking boats. They should only be run as demo’s or rental for a year or so…that way they still sell for close to replacement cost.

This Vela for $1400 with small nicks and some repaired dammage is priced about right.

The Vela is a very special boat, but it’s still just a glass layup of a current model that is replaciable by the dealer with a new one for a small outlay beyond asking price.

Definately worth looking at, but this is not a price that is at all out of line with used, scuffed and repaired boats…the last Glass Anas Acuta I bought I paid $700, I met a guy that bought one in better shape for $200…those are real deals on glass boats. I also have a pintail that I paid $1200 for…My wife paddles a Nordkapp that I paid $900 for…

Everybody that sells boats think that they are worth a small fortune cause they’re glass…people that buy with time on their side, get good prices from people that actually want to sell their boats. (anyone that thinks they will get $2200 or $2300 for a used boat should take a trip into a dealer when the new models are comming out…That is way too close to what a brand new boat can be purchased for.)

I think that this Vela is in the priced to look at range…at this price it sounds like a good deal for both parties (buyer and seller)Scuffed boats are the best, cause you can really put them thru a good boating experience without worry of that first scratch. Definatly needs to be paddled before buying, The Vela is not for just anyone. The cockpit is a little more roomy than that of the Anas Acuta, but it’s a faster straighter tracking boat. Those that own them truly love them tho. (as with any boat you keep)

Like a good horse,just ride them loose with the hips, they are good to the owners that they chose.

And boats do choose owners, anyway all of the ones I have, did.

Best Wishes

Roy

Trip Results . . . .
Wow, you are all fantastic!

I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts, and they were quite helpful. I was able to read them while on the road.

The boat I went to see had been damaged by over tightening that rooftop straps, causing damage in two different spots. Patches had been applied, but they were just that . . . patches. The hull was also a bit out of shape. The repairs were not professionally done, and did indeed have black spots.

The gel coat had cracked out from the patches along with chips on the deck.

I paddled the boat and did like it. The fit was not perfect, but carving out the thigh braces & some outfitting could make it a very nice fit.

I called the boat craftsman and described what I saw, he said “offer $1000 or walk”. The lowest the seller would go was $1350, so I walked.

I will say that the couple was delightful! They took me for a paddle to Little Tybee Island complete with impromptu lessons. They even gave me the honor of paddling their personal Ana Acuda, and had some great stories.

I continued on to other dealers and tried numerous other Kayaks. I do believe I have now tried every Kayak that exists “for smaller paddlers”.

End result: The Current designs Raven is a PERFECT fit save that I can not stand my feet upright under the deck.

After two months of searching, I made a compromise and purchased a rotomolded Valley Avocet. Despite being more volume than my size dictates, it fits me better than most. My legs are straight with thigh braces actually on my thighs, hips just need a little bit of padding, my elbows are not resting on the cockpit, nor is it a knuckle whacker, and I love the personality of the boat.

When I do find the glass boat of my dreams, the Avocet will be a great second boat for either my kids, or visiting paddling companions. Until then, I at least have room for my kitchen sink when I go kayak camping.

Once again, thank you all!

good for you!
Smart girl, you acquitted yourself very well!

Now that you have your Avocet, you can go ahead and do that custom outfitting w. minicell for the optimum fit at your hips & seat…

So I make this little “welcome aboard” offer:

if you can give me an address to mail you a package (work address or whatever is fine) I have plenty of 1/4" and 1/2" thick minicell from a bonus buy I made at eBay from a Michigan seller… would be glad to give it to you gratis… just pay the shipping cuz if I send larger pieces the box will be bigger.

E-mail me if you like we can discuss details.

Congratulations!

msg to DCM

– Last Updated: Mar-05-07 4:46 PM EST –

you are right... I was thinking theoreticals and working numbers, so in no way do I want to impute a lack of character as regards a specific person that you know and I don't. It was not my intent nor the original reason I posted, and to the extent it read like an accusation, I apologize.

Over the weekend at the Quiet Water Symposium I found out that P&H is going to discontinue the Vela. (Two dealers actually said that).

And one of those P&H dealers told me that P&H "would not be able to do anything with the warranty" if any problems came up later because of the private party repairs.

These are two other issues that have nothing to do w. the character of the seller but might impact the long term enjoyment of the boat.

LES got her kayak anyways for her own own good reasons & judgement so the main objective was achieved.

Ahoy!
I think you picked a good boat that will serve you well.

I was curious as to whether you tested the Capella 161. If so, I’d love to hear your thoughts as to how it compared to the Vela for a smaller paddler.

Cheers!

–Mark

Capella 161

– Last Updated: Mar-05-07 7:17 PM EST –

Hi Mark:

Well, I am actually a teeny paddler. As I said, if it were not for the foot clearance I am Raven sized. With that said, I could not really affect the boat properly so I am not a good source of review.

However, compared to all the other boats I could not affect properly, it did seem like it had a good speed to it. I was also able to maneuver it better than the Impex Force Cat 3, which is more for my size. Another person there who is 5”10 & 185 pounds liked the boat quite a bit, even though it was a too small for him. He was still able to put it on edge just fine

The vela was truly more the boat for me. I am 5’2” and 105 pounds. The only problem was the thigh braces were in the completely wrong position, and would need to be sheared off.

After so many demos of the “small boats” I have come to this conclusion . . . .

At 5”2” I have a 31 inch inseam. My height is in my legs, not my torso. This explains why my elbows do not clear so many cockpits. I am starting to believe that perhaps my pelvis is narrower than other people my height, which is why my legs are being splayed so badly on most kayaks. Be interesting to find out . . . . my hip bones are 10” apart.

So for you Mark, if you are say 5’6” to 5’8” and under 185, the Capella might come to life under you. If you are more my size, definitely try the Vela! It is a great boat.

Good Luck,
Lisa