BWCA trip with family.......

Lake One
For a first time venture into the BWCA I would recommend Lake one entrance with a destination of Lake insula. There are fewer portages on this route and the destination lake of Insula has enough campsites to be out of view of others. It also gives you a nice one day trip to Fishdance lake that has Indian Pictographs. Keep in mind that this is a very popular entrance so get your reservations ASAP. Welcom to MN and hope you have a good time.

Swamper

Lake One
For a first time venture into the BWCA I would recommend Lake one entrance with a destination of Lake insula. There are fewer portages on this route and the destination lake of Insula has enough campsites to be out of view of others. It also gives you a nice one day trip to Fishdance lake that has Indian Pictographs. Keep in mind that this is a very popular entrance so get your reservations ASAP. Welcom to MN and hope you have a good time.

Swamper

guiding
I am a 3rd grade teacher in Sauk Rapids MN, and have been to the BWCA many times. I founded and directed a group through our school district called Kids in the Woods, and took middle aged kids to the BWCA for 4 years. If you are still interested in a guide for next summer, let me know. Nate

Kids trips: short portages
I have taken young scouts into boundary waters. Kids are bored by long paddles. Choose a route that has a number of 1 or 2 block portages to break up the route. The Lake one landing is good for this. One person suggested traveling to Insula from Lake one. An alternate to this would be just before Insula there is a loop north to fire lake that starts at Hudson and loops back to Lake 4. Our young scouts are good for three nights and four days before they long for civilization. Cabin camp the night before and the night after your trip works well.

excellent suggestion
The fire lake option is an excellent suggestion. One other thing is to have an alternate route., The wind on the lakes can make the going tough. Having an alternate (shorter) route can be a life saver.