Calling all solo canoe paddlers

my inclination

– Last Updated: Jun-12-04 8:38 AM EST –

would be to recommend the Otegan and the Grasse River Classic for "smaller" race boats. The Otegan is a hair over 16', but it doesn't feel that big. It's a very nice boat to paddle - excellent tracking, not bothered by wind, and takes just a little bit of heel to kick it into a nice, crisp turn.

Millbrook makes a downriver racer called the Swamp Hen that should be pretty fast, but it's probably deeper than you would want and it would probably be hard to find one to demo.

The Hemlock boats, the Magic, and the Merlin II would also be possibilities.

I can't think of any production boats other than those that I would even bother to look at.

The Wenonah Vagabond? I'm glad folks like them, but definitely not a race boat. My only lasting impression from the one time I paddled a Vagabond was that it hit the wall speed-wise pretty darn quick.

Merlin
Hey all: My solo striper is a Bruce Kunz Designed Merlin. It is 15’8" . The actual specs seem awfull close to the Merlin 2 BUT the Merlin( the real original) Merlin has no rocker. I did cheat on Mr Kunz’s design and put in a pedestal seat but it has enough width that I can straddle it when my back acts up and I need to kneel. I am waiting till I have more miles of racing and a few 4- 5 hour days to give a real report.

And for any racing fans out there a word advice. Don’t give JackL any advice. I made a little suggestion to him on his stroke and for the next 6 miles I could hardly keep him in sight he improved so fast…

Hey Paul
Are you going to race in the latta Launch?

I want to thank you for that day you let me use your Advantage. It made my mind up on making a solo. I had Called Wenonah but they wouldn’t sell me the plans for an advantage so I used the Merlin From Northwest Canoe shop. Nice boatbut there is something about kevlar that gets under your skin…

Latta Launch
Yes I am going to race. I am going to enter the rec class this year. I recruited someone that hasn’t done much paddling but he is interested. So we will see how it goes.

Can Nanci and I…
jump on your wake.

We are entering the same race (only mixed).

cheers,

JackL