camera help

The one thing that hasn’t been mentioned
Insurance. Not renter’s or homeowner’s but a “special articles” policy. I have State Farm, and for a pretty reasonable cost, I can have special articles policy that covers my camera gear, boat, and my nice touring bicycle. The good thing is, that not only does this policy cover outright loss from theft or in the case of a camera losing in the drink somewhere, but also, if I happen to drop the camera in the parking lot and shatter my lens and bust the body open, the insurance will cover repair or replacement. All of this is without a deductible I might add. I asked some of the same questions about taking a DSLR out on the water versus a point-and-shoot and the amateur and professional photographers I spoke as a whole agreed that a DSLR is always going to be the better camera, particularly where wildlife photography is concerned, and that the two best bits of advice are keeping the camera in a secured water-tight case in your boat, and having an insurance policy to cover it in case of any mishaps. I had two of the Aquapac housings and frankly, they’re junk. The Ewa Marine housing are slightly better but still nearly impossible to use if you hope to get any decent shots. If you’re serious about your photography and getting good shots then your DSLR is going to be the better camera to use. If you’re concerned about protecting your investment, don’t monkey around with the housings. Instead, just buy the insurance - the peace of mind is well worth it, especially if like me, you couldn’t really afford to replace all of your camera gear in case of a mishap.

Just how long…
…will your DSLR last without any protection from the (salt) water in any sort of condition beyond dead flat calm? From experience with high-end SLR I can tell you - even a ruggerized body like EOS1v or F5 will not last long.

An insurance that will cover salt water damage to a DSLR after exposure it was not designed for? Dropping it might be an accident - dropping it into the water from a boat without any form of protection is not.

WR cases were invented for a reason. Of course if you buy junk you end up with junk.

Compact Waterproof camera w viewfinder
Are there any compact digital waterproof cameras that have separate viewfinders?

The I have have a Canon Powershot S1 IS with the Canon accessory waterproof casing ( good down to 100 ft) but the whole thing is huge for use from my kayak.

I had a compact Canon Poweshot SD series camera with the matching Canon waterproof case but I dropped the camera and can’t replace it. The newer model Canon compact cameras only have a rear viewing screen that reflects in bright sunlight ( especially when I am wearing polarized sunglasses) so all I see when setting up the shot is my face.

The same for the small Fuji XP waterproof camera I bought - all I can see in bright sunlight is my face- making it literally a point and shot camera.

Is there any compact waterproof digital camera that has a separate viewfinder?

No viewfinders
I’ve been looking for years and have not found any waterproof PFD pocket sized digital cameras with viewfinders.

A few years back I was at a paddling photography presentation at Canoecopia. I told the presenter that I have a Pentax W10 and was having a problem framing photos because the camera had no viewfinder and that I couldn’t see what I was photographing. I asked for his advice.

His response was the only thing I could do is to point the camera in the general direction of what I wanted to photograph and take a lot of exposures. After all, he said, I wasn’t using film and there is no processing cost so taking many exposures didn’t cost anything. He told me I could then review all those photos, take the best ones, and try to Photoshop them into the photograph I saw in my mind when taking the exposures.

Sort of takes the art out of photography and makes it more like playing the lottery. By the way, I do not buy lottery tickets.

If anyone comes across any small waterproof digital cameras PLEASE post your findings on P-Net. I am certain I will not be the only one interested in exploring your find.

Bridge Camera
GilH got me on track to consider a bridge camera, something between an interchangeable lens DSLR and a conventional waterproof point and shoot camera.

I purchased a Panasonic DMC-FZ50 10.1MP digital camera with 35-420mm optical zoom used for $200. This camera has an electronic view finder and an articulating LCD screen. The screen when parked up against the camera body activates the viewfinder. There’s no problem with framing a photo in direct sunlight.

The focal length is much greater than my Coolpix AW100 and longer than anything I have for my Canon Rebel XT or any combination of Rebel and lens that I care to risk on the water. 420mm is as long as I think I can handle handheld from my boat.

I plan to purchase a Ewa-Marine housing for my new/used bridge camera but I’ve already had it out twice on the water and I’ve already captured some shots I could not have gotten with my waterproof camera and without risking my Rebel and expensive lenses.

I expect the Ewa-Marine housing might work with my Rebel as well.

Thanks.

For wildlife kiltedcelt has it right
If your after wildlife and what great pics, then get insurance, forget about all the dry bags and boxes and go and take pictures. I use a Nikon D300 and either a Nikon 300mm or 500mm lens from a yak all the time. Took out and $8000 rider for photo equip on my home owners insurance for roughly $80 a year. Why have all the equipment and be afraid to use it for what you love.

How are you going to get the camera and lens from a bag or box when an eagle swoops down to catch a fish right in front of your yak or you spot a deer moving along the shoreline.

I put a large towel on the floor then the camera then another towel, ready to shoot when the opportunity arises.

Good luck, Mike

Drift Camera

– Last Updated: Mar-02-12 2:13 AM EST –

I know this is not a point and shoot but I just got the new drift HD. I really like that it is light so I can mount it on my hat or helment. It has a viewfinder which is cool too.

Poseidon Stand Up Paddle Boards
1654 Ocean Ave
Santa Monica CA 90401
info@poseidonstandup.com