Can older lady do this?

Yes, Find Club
I definitely back you up on the value of joining a paddling club. I meant to include that. It depends on the club whether you need to have a “starter” boat. But definitely a good idea both for the information that is passed along, other assistance and camaraderie. It definitely opened up some other options and other worlds to me.

So far
I did find a website of what looks like a good shop in town although they do look fairly whitewater oriented I’m sure they will be a good source of information. They open up in March.

I also checked for events to go as suggested, seems while I was posting here I missed the big Cinncy boat swap meet! I am taking the advice suggested here and rent and try some different things but it would have been a good place to walk around and talk to people and try lifting boats.

But there will be some sort of outdoor adventure event with some vendors next month and one of the brands recommended here is listed so I will try to make that.

A question about sit on tops - Am I wrong in assuming that you get more wet? Or is how wet you get related to design and skill?

The Tarpon SOT are wet rides.
The Hurricane Phoenix and the Native Watercraft SOT are fairly dry. They sit higher out of the water.

Where in Ohio are you?
I’m 73 and paddle a solo canoe. My wife is 10 years younger, kayaks, and we paddle all the time. We are in Athens County in southeast Ohio. If you’re anywhere close, we’d love to have you join us for a day trip. You could try out one of our boats to see how paddling suits you.

We’ll have to wait a bit however, since at the moment everything around here is frozen solid and as I type this we’re under a level 2 snow emergency. If you’re in northern Ohio, you won’t get hit till tonight.

Doc

Paddling possiblity
If you are in NE Ohio, Cleveland Metroparks offers a lot of paddling opportunities during the summer months (of course, for a small registration fee). Kayaking and Canoe lessons, several day trips a month with their naturalists, the occasional camping trip, etc. They have kayaks and canoes. Their summer schedule isn’t posted yet, but it’s something to think about.

http://www.clemetparks.com/index.asp

elder padle
Welcome to paddling. I’m a 62 year oldd male and have paddled for several years. I also do some level 1 instruction. I can only repeat what has been said before, find a good dealer with a good selection and test paddle, and, if possible test lift and carry a bit to see if you can handle the weight. Also you might consider contacting a local paddle group. Usually they are anxious to help and talk kayak. You might want to try renting first. My only other advice at this point is don’t go with price as being your primary factor. A $500 kayak you don’t use is expensive. A $1000 you use a lot is a bargin.

Blowing up an inflatable
I have a small, 12 volt air pump (about $10)that does the job fine. It’s not a compressor, so there is no danger of overinflating. It blows things up to about the same pressure you could do if you were blowing hard by mouth. Places that sell infaltable boats, float bags, etc. carry them.

Inflatable - don’t always have to deflat
I started with an Innova Safari inflatable due to the same concerns that Mary has. I had a van, and was able to load it right inside my van (the front come up between the seats - but that means I didn’t have to deflate and reinflate every time I used it. I would keep it in the house, just letting a little air out so as to relieve the tension, and with a few quick pumps of the foot pump it was ready to go again. Very stable, and it only weighed 35 lbs. I didn’t change boats until I started doing open ocean kayaking with a local club and needed a sea kayak to keep up. Bought myself one for my 50th birthday.

Paula (arthritis and bad back)

kids
Kids also eat free at Denny’s with the purchase of an equivalent entree!

One more lightweight option

– Last Updated: Jan-27-09 1:12 PM EST –

http://www.pakboats.com/kayak-models.htm

Puffin Sport, 17 pounds.

If storage space isn't an issue, you can leave folding kayaks assembled.

foldaway trailer
One thing not mentioned, there are a couple of nice easy-fold/easy-unfold canoe/kayak trailers on the market. Take little space to store, make it real easy on your back loading and unloading boat.

I don’t need one yet but I am waiting for the day. 64 years old, every so many years I get a lighter canoe and keep going. Go for it Mary!

If you come to the U.P.
drop me a line and we can do some paddling… I promise, no “intensity” here!

Go For It!!!
Sounds like you are a perfect candidate for paddling. My mom is 63 and has bad hips and difficulties getting around. We discovered kayaking as a great way for her to enjoy the outdoors when she was visiting me. As a result, I became a kayaker and a birder and my mom benefits from both when she comes to visit.

Please let me know how things work out for you and definitely if you ever want to come paddle and bird watch on the Mendocino Coast. Best wishes.

Pittsburgh Craigslist i saw today

– Last Updated: Jan-28-09 10:27 AM EST –

has for $200 an inflatable kayak, paddle, pump. It is listed on last Sat and it is in East Liverpool, Ohio. Maybe near you?

Don't know anything about it but there is a phone # that you could call if interested. Not bad if it doesn't leak or repaired! (under boats)

Marilyn

I seem to remember…
…when I was looking through the photo gallery for one of the British boat builder’s websites seeing quite a few mature women out enjoying paddling…you might try to find the pics for a bit of inspiration and re-assurance. As a new paddler, it is a fun learning experience to see the pics, anyways. Try Nigel Dennis and Valley, among others…

Audrey Sutherland
Google Audrey Sutherland.

besides all the nice advice
already here:

• talk w. the health practitioner you prefer, one who hopefully knows of your history, and see what kinds of stretch & strength exercises they’d recommend for you. These are simple, require minimal or no equipment and can be done at home.

• yoga is excellent for paddlers of all ages. There are classes esp for older folks, DVDs, etc. I recommend a class so the instructor can give you some one on one advice and you don’t start out w. poor form that can defeat the whole purpose.

It’s smart to prepare your body for a new activity. Increasing your strength & flexibility will boost your confidence and your abilities - in the water or not.

*Invest in as light a paddle as you can. Given your mention of shoulder troubles, and knowing how heavy paddles can discourage new paddlers, a light paddle with good swing weight (you want both) is a real help. The ounces saved really add up with all the strokes taken.

Don’t buy a paddle from a big box store. Their selection can be (very) limited and most salespeople will not know much if anything about fitting a paddle to you and your boat. Find a local paddle shop or at least one with knowledgeable people in your state. People who paddle a lot, clubs, etc. will know where they are.

As for taking up new things in old age: you will be just as old if you take it up as if you don’t. The difference is you will never know what you are missing.

Good for you and good luck!

I’m over 50 and then some and I’ve
made adjustments so I can paddle. You can do it with some accommodations. As others have said, join a club and take some basic lessons. Your health and experience level makes it important for you to have paddling buddies. Also, they can help with your boat loading so that you can get a solo that is suited to your current needs. I have a 55lb solo canoe that’s set up like a kayak. I use a kayak paddle. It’s easy to get in and out of and I can haul lots of stuff. I can carry it myself, but it’s not necessary. You can load at home, alone, with a pulley system or a rack next to your car with extendable bars. You can make a pad out of a rug runner so you can drag your boat. Figure out what works for you and get started.

boat for you
I haven’t read all the threads and I’m happy to see you get so much good feedback.

My take is that you need the lightest possible hassle-free boat that you can get and it does not matter if you just go for very very short paddles until/unless you eventually decide to go further. Just get on the water!

Hemlock Canoe makes boats at 20 pounds or less. I think Poke Boats are more stable and super light. You should see if you’re able to get in and out…you basically sit on a pad on the floor of the Adirondack-style Hemlock boats. I’d avoid the hassle of an inflatable and they are usually sluggish to paddle too. A real boat with a hard hull would be easy to strap to your roof (get a rack). I think there are other brands that have boats in the 20 pound range. An Old Town pack is a great high value option if you can handle the 33 pounds, it would be smart to go find one and lift/handle it to see if it’s OK with you. If you are anywhere near Hemlock NY you should go see Dave Curtis and handle his light boats.

I think an older lady could do it
You’ll want something light. Inflatable might be the way to go, but keeping it simple (not having to inflate it each time) has its own attraction. I would forget the motor. Again, that’s too much complication. There’s no set distance you need to do. For a beginner, I would propose flat water. One woman, one PFD, one paddle, one boat. I like the intensive stuff you talk about, but only after years on the nicest, quietest local lake. Just getting out and paddling is the main thing. It feels good, you’ll find out. No reason to keep up with the Jones. Enjoy!