Can you reach your spare when rear deck?

if any one could. . .
Hmmm, you’ll have to practice that paddle on the back deck recovery. :slight_smile:

good point
That’s the other issue with back deck placement. Will it interfere with rescues. . maybe, maybe not… but at least a consideration. Sort of sucks doing a rodeo up and over you’re spare. :wink:

easier
In some ways, it’s easier to use half a paddle – easier to manuever underwater, and you don’t have to worry about clearing the inboard blade. I’ve seen a couple of speed rolling contests where the winners chose to use half of a euro paddle for that reason. When you come up you’ve just got to remember that you can only brace on one side…

the conditions capsized the paddler

– Last Updated: Apr-02-06 7:48 PM EST –

or took their paddle and now they are upright in the same conditions with nothing in their hand after a hand roll. I'd rather rig the paddle well and if I go over I'd come up with a half paddle. Still far from optimal but (for me) better than hand rolling.

Not to trash the skill (I wish I could do it) but if you have a half euro on the back deck I'd suggest rigging it well and grabbing it and having it in your hands when you roll up.

Rolling with half paddle
I started rolling my Avocet with a half paddle a couple of weeks ago. I could not believe how easy it is. I started with a screw/sweep, but can now do either screw/sweep or c to c with half paddle. Broke my GP in half on Thursday and wet exited. Then did a wet re-entry and rolled with half the GP. The Avocet is such and easy boat to roll, but I am not close to a hand roll yet. Good luck with yours.

~wetzool

good points all
The more tricks in the pocket the better. So good point to think beyond the skills to having a paddle in had as well.

you are absolutely right

– Last Updated: Apr-08-06 6:09 AM EST –

I was thinking of the length being an issue sometimes. the storm just seems to fit perfectly without hanging over..but no reason not to have a two piece assembled on deck.

Varying Skills, Varying Assumptions

– Last Updated: Apr-03-06 5:50 AM EST –

I carry a spare on the back deck. Doesn't matter whether it's Euro or GP. I can access it but would not do so unless I have lost my primary paddle. I can access and roll with either while underwater. Practice it.

Does it get in the way for me, specifically for a self rescue? No. My backup to the roll is to reenter and roll. This is more reliable in rough conditions anyway than a paddle float rescue. If I had to do a paddle float rescue, it's no big deal to pull the paddle out and stick it in the front to get it out of the way before attempting a rescue. What are we talking here? Maybe another 20 seconds?

If someone else has to borrow my spare because they lost their primary, I would assume I would have to get next to them, perhaps for a rescue, in which case, after s/he is the boat, it's not a big deal for them to pull the spare off my back while I am stablizing them.

My perference is for a back deck carry because I like front deck cleared, except for compass and maybe chart and or GPS. That's not to say a front carry of a spare is bad either. Downside is that if you do have to perform a TX rescue, your spare or the person getting rescue can get in the way as well. Not insurmountable for sure. But the front deck spare may get crunched in the process if you're not careful.

sing

General case must fit your abilities
sing,

really shows us again how we should be careful about adopting the general case answer to ourselves by digesting it rather than swallowing whole. I bet you are more limber than me and can get and restow your spare off the back deck, I have trouble twisting that much and being reliable in rough stuff so front deck for me. Even after years of yoga, this is how my body works.

It is great to see how different folks have found a way that works for them. Great thread!

SUVyak spare
Since it was pointed out in someones post on another thread that all yaks are recyaks unless we make our living in them, I will henceforth refer to my Loon 138 as a Standard Utility Vessel or SUVyak. I keep a single blade short handle canoe paddle on the front deck for easier maneuvering while the fishing pole is rigged. My SUVyak, as well as most I would suspect, can be handled fairly well with a single blade paddle. I don’t intend on taking the SUVyak on water where I couldn’t get some control and safely to shore with a single blade. A double would be optional for bigger water situations.

Taj

back deck
my Orion has a spare paddle recess offset to the left on my back deck and all i have to do is unhook one bungie and slide the two halves out from under a strap, takes all of 2 seconds, and because they are offset i dont have to bend backwards at all just reach with one arm. so I like it.

back deck
Actually, my rational for taking along a spare isn’t so much for the situation of lossing my primary Paddle to gale force wind that would wipped up 10 ft sea. I don’t yet have the skill to PADDLE such conditions. So surviving a lost paddle capsize in that kind of condition will be even more doubtful, regarless of WHERE I carry my spare.

I carry a spare more for the benine situation when the paddle drifted away while I maybe taking photos or putting on an extra layer. In other words, totally flat water! I can retrieve the spare from the back deck without upseting my balance right side up. But I haven’t tried doing it while upside down! ;o)

In any case, I doubt I can retrieve BOTH half of the spare AND re-assemble the paddle underwater. So the point of fore deck vs. back deck is moot for me. The only way I can get back up will be to frist wet exit, retrieve and re-assemble the spare while in the water, followed by a re-entry and roll. Perhaps next winter, I’ll work on the half paddle roll. And then, only then, the question of fore deck vs. back would be more meaningful for my case.

I don’t “plan” to be in rough conditions by myself in the first place. But if I do got caught in condition that weren’t part of the plan, loss my paddle AND capsize, that would also have to serve as my last resort.

mine isn’t on the deck
I keep my spare in a bag between my feet in the bow. They are out of the way and accessible.

not to be rude
but how in the hell are you going to be able to reach into your boat, get the bag out, unzip it, put your paddle together and roll up or roll up with half a paddle? In conditions? I hope you have practiced this extensively because it seems to me that it is going to do you just as much good as if you had left it in the car.

with all due respect.

Paul

Maybe assuming a wet exit? NM

Slap!, Slap!
What!!! You don’t roll!?

With all due respect… chill.

sing

I’m chilling

– Last Updated: Apr-07-06 9:51 PM EST –

but the question and statement still applies. If you are going to have the spare paddle on the back deck or the front deck it is for a reason. I am assuming (while chillin) that that reason is because you either might have to use it because you lost yours or you have to lend someone a paddle, and unless someone happened to break their paddle on a rock in flat water, the conditions will probably be somewheres between oh sh*t and oh sh*****t. Neither of which lend themselves to reaching between your legs, unzipping a bag and pulling out a two piece paddle. Hence my comment that it would do just as much good in the car because it sure seems to me that it would do you no good on the water. In fact, with the possibility of entanglement, let alone trying to pull the paddle out in conditions, people can get dead. But I guess that is politically incorrect to say ...so I will keep chilling and the next time I read someone doing something that could very easily increase their chances of getting hurt I will keep quiet...or maybe I should take sensitivity classes because I said the "dead" word. Oh and I used sarcasm too oh my!...

BTW, the same would apply to roll or any other type of rescue but since I highlighted roll in my previous commentary without including the other rescues I guess it was assumed that I am some sort of snob that disdains any other type of rescue. dunno how that impression was created but won't even bother to respond to it.

sigh, apologies to all.

paul

Check out this configuration!
Scroll to the bottom of the page to the last image. Now THAT’s a spare :slight_smile:

http://www.usna.edu/LtWtCrew/cartoons.htm