Candied ginger

MMMMM GOOD!!

@Chodups said:
Is sea sickness fairly common among paddlers? I’ve gotten to feeling odd on smooth reflective water in the past but never on active water.

Jon
Https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

Did you wear polarized sunglasses when this was happening? The reason I ask is that polarized sunglasses sometimes made me feel dizzy around shiny-surfaced, bright white snow. They did not bother me when the snow was more matte textured, or dirty.

After that, I stuck with nonpolarized sunglasses. They have gotten hard to find, though, at least with the better quality levels.

Willowleaf, can you stand the taste of Dr. Pepper? I like the taste well enough, but it has a faint hint of bell pepper taste in it! It always made me wonder if that was the secret ingredient in it.

PB, I’ve never tasted Dr. Pepper. In fact I’ve never drunk soda of any kind my entire life and the thought of a soda with a hint of bell pepper is disgusting to the extreme.

Since I was a kid soda has always gagged me – it was not offered in my house growing up, other than root beer which my father and sister liked (and I could not stand.) So maybe it’s a learned taste. I know I’m a weirdo about it but find it hard to understand why gaseous mixes of sugar and chemicals and phosphoric acid that are cloying and nasty on my tongue are so universally popular. I would honestly rather drink water from a mud puddle than soda of any kind (colas especially, which smell to me like burned sugar and turpentine) and I’ve chosen to go thirsty on many occasions when nothing but soda was available.

No regrets though – I turned 69 this summer and still have all my teeth. No cavities for 52 years.

@pikabike said:

Did you wear polarized sunglasses when this was happening? The reason I ask is that polarized sunglasses sometimes made me feel dizzy around shiny-surfaced, bright white snow. They did not bother me when the snow was more matte textured, or dirty.

After that, I stuck with nonpolarized sunglasses. They have gotten hard to find, though, at least with the better quality levels.

It isn’t related to sunglasses for me. I think it is the reflections and no feedback from the water. I seem to be happy when I am getting knocked around a bit. Big swells haven’t bothered me before. Just flat, smooth, reflective water. I don’t like it.

Jon
https://3meterswell.blogspot.com

I tried to make some but… the issue is that while Ginger is HOT, cooking it really amps up the heat (10,000 whatevers as opposed to jalapeno at 1,000) so I had no luck making it. Ginger ale however does have ginger (which is good for seasickness) and a bit of carbonation which also helps settle a stomach and it is actually palatable.

Candied ginger has usefulness? I thought it was just incredibly delicious! I love the stuff - I rarely buy it because I always end up eating it all, right away… :smiley: