Candle lanterns

used one for years

– Last Updated: Nov-17-09 8:48 AM EST –

It does require some thought to hang it far enough from the walls/ceiling so that the heat isn't a problem. I've had to rig suspension lines in my tents.

Nice warm light and a bit of heat.

Me too.
Never had a problem hanging my candle lantern from a loop in my tent. Just the thing for playing cards.

Works well
Inside the tent.

It takes the chill out of the air, removes some of the moisture, solves the little flies issue, gives an OK light.

I have had a tent fire with a Coleman Lantern in a bell tent and five of us scrambled for our lives. Damage was in the thousands but Her Majesty paid for all the stuff that was damaged, she owned it anyway.

These little candles are fine and a tent is not a plastic bag so you won’t suffocate.

Enjoy… $5.00 Great deal, if you don’t use it give it to someone that kayaks or canoes in colder clines.

Christmas is coming.

A little common sense goes a long way

– Last Updated: Nov-17-09 10:45 AM EST –

Once again, there's sure a lot of use of the phrase "don't ever do this" here. Sure, if you set the thing on the floor, sooner or later you will knock it over (especially if you have the most-popular brand, which is skinny and very top-heavy, and in that case I think the lesson will be good for you!). Hang it where you might bump it and sooner or later you will, and once again you got what you deserved. So yes, DON'T DO THOSE THINGS, but that's not the same as saying "never" use one inside your tent.

Common sense is much more rare than its name would imply, but all one needs to do is think a little and that should no longer be true. I've hung a small oil lamp (in principle, it's just a highly sophisticated candle lantern) inside the tent with no worries. The first six to eight inches of the tether is non-combustible, and I hang it far enough from the ceiling and/or wall to elimate any chance of heating up the fabric, yet close enough to the far end of the tent that the only way to bump it would be to deliberately reach up with my foot and kick it, but then, why would I choose to do that?

Of course, a lot of times I hang the thing outside the door.

In actual fact, I usually don't need long-term lighting in a tent, in which case I just use headlamp, but there are times when a candle lantern (or miniature oil lamp) is nice to have. Also, I've NEVER seen a candle lantern or oil lamp quit working, which is something I can't say for ANY brand or style of LED light I've owned.

Also, mine has an led light
in the base of the candle lantern so if I wake up during the night and need a light, instead of fumbling around for my headlamp, I can just reach up and turn on the led. Mine was a retrofit but I think they’re sold with them installed now.

All that fuss for a candle???
Carbon monoxide? Give me a break! The tent wall is barely enough to stop the water from coming in and you guys worry about AIR going out???

Fire? Jeez! The candle is INSIDE a glass enclosure with only a tiny bit of openning to let air in/out. As soon as you tip it over, it goes out (like all candles). The lantern itself is mostly cool enough to hold with your hand, except the very top part next to the flame.

Yes it’s silly to sit it on the tent floor. Not so much for fire danger. But you’re bound to knock it over and be left in the dark. And if you’re going to hang it from the roof of the tent, leave a bit of room on top for the heat to disperse. What I do is leave the string attached either to the tent or to the lantern.

Oh yes, light the candle OUTSIDE the tent and put the glass enclosure on before bring it inside. NOT trying to light it IN the tent!

I’ve been using it for about 20 years.

Yes, not exactly open
People are free to do anything they want. I’m just not recommending it.

Just be careful
They’re a nice little light.

CO = carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas that poisons your blood stream and prevents your red cells from delivering oxygen. Bad stuff indeed! It is a combustion byproduct from incomplete burning of a fuel. Catalytic heaters are supposed to burn fuel so completely that there is no/negligible CO. They still use up 02 (oxygen.)

CO2 = carbon dioxide, an odorless, colorless gas that you exhale when you use up your oxygen. It causes asphyxiation rather than poisoning your blood.

Disclaimer: A candlelamp in a tent, with a bit of vent open shouldn’t be a problem either way if used for short periods. I am not a scientist or safety expert. Don’t take my words as the final authority. Not legally responsible if you do something unwise.

Same for me
In the Everglades National Park, the backcountry sites and chickees are where I use my UCO Chandelier (3 candle) lantern. In these areas one cannot build fires. The lantern is silent and gives a nice warm glow. Another perk is that you can use the citronella candles to keep bugs (some bugs) away.

BOPCA
And whatever you do, NEVER EVER EVER bring a candle lantern and a Lexan water bottle into a tent together.

The CO formed by the burning candle will combine with the BPA off gassing from the Lexan and form a compound known as BOPCA.

BOPCA will instantly catalyze the silicone used to waterproof the tent, causing it to react with the CO2 caused by your respiration, in-turn forming siliCO2ne.

SiliCO2ne in contact with a flame decomposes into phosgene gas, and you’ll die instantly.

It’s a dangerous world. Better just stay at home and make up stupid things to worry about.

Regularly
burn candle hanging from loop in the tent.

Not sure whether this is just mental, but in the summer I think the citronella helps debug the tent. Other seasons I think it helps dry the interior. It’s not much heat, but the heat as air passes through the candle causes convection, which moves the air in the tent. Any heated air will also have a reduction in relative humidity. At worst, the candle offers a moral boost of slightly less sog. My tents all have sections of mesh, so I don’t worry about accumulated gas and don’t think much actual heating takes place. Maybe in a small tent, but in the Tetragon 9 the heat will be out the top in no time. The candle hangs far enough that it doesn’t overheat the tent material. The little hook on the end of the candle’s chain hold in the tent’s loop very well. You can head it or elbow it and it is not coming down. If the tent collapses, I really think it would just go out, but theoretically agree the candle could set the tent on fire.

Similar size and brightness lights are now available that makes the candles obsolete for all but charm. I can see the day coming when I will no longer pack the candles.

~~Chip

Have 2 big & 1 small. Get a faux candle.
We’ve used candle lanterns in various places:

• The 2 big ones, inside the back of the Tahoe with its extension tent thingie. The lanterns are hung up from the hangers built into the vehicle’s ceiling.

• The big ones, inside a 3-person tent. I was a bit nervous about this, but we propped them up solidly on a box, with sort of a guard wall around it. Still, nonflame lanterns are my preference in such a confined space with no solid fixtures.

• I’ve hung the little one (uses one tea candle) from my mtn bike handlebar extension in the back of my truck. The bike was simply standing up on one side of the bed, leaning against the topper side, but also wedged in pretty well with gear against the wheels. I actually slept all night a couple of times with the candle going, but normally I would snuff it at bedtime.

In all cases, there was adequate ventilation. The big lanterns put out some nice, dry heat as well as light.

I would not bother bringing a candle lantern on backcountry trips, though–only for car camping. They’re too bulky for the amount of light gained. They do give off a warm glow that is more appealing than the typical cold LED bluish light.

But–get this–I bought two small LED faux candles at Batteries Plus. These lights are the size of tea candles, and they have a flickering orange-yellow “flame” that simulates candlelight surprisingly well. If all you want is the look of candlelight (not the warmth), these are much safer and more compact.

NEVER outside tent, always use INSIDE
You could start a forest fire if you use it outside the tent.

I could raise it 5degrees
depending on what I had for dinner