Canister stove

ever wondered why
they stopped making them?

It appears that after a couple of them exploded because the fuel tank is awfully close to the burner they revised the design…

I know it was operator error when people placed large pots on the stove and cooked the thing forever but the fuel tank can explode!

Hence all the remote fuel bottles style stove around today.

The Whisperlight is a decend stove however requires the operator to read the manual; and we all know that real man don’t read instructions :-).

Seriously, liquid fuel has merit but I am cooking with gas these days.

Gnarlydog

liquid fuel unpopular
with clutzy operators.

It requires a certain degree of finesse (but not rocket science level) to light and operate any liquid fuel stove; some more then others.

The Whisperlight can simmer but it takes a few moments to regulate the flame since the fuel supply control valve (turning knob) is not next to the burner and some residual fuel is left in the line between control knob and flame.

After a few days most people get the hang of it, but admittedly some never get it.

It is a bit like driving a manual car: some people can just only drive automatic :slight_smile:

Me, I used to cook on liquid fuel but these days I prefer gas, incidentally I don’t drive stick no more either :slight_smile:

Gnarlydog

not true that ALL canister stoves
don’t work in the cold.

Your generic burner on top of canister might not but gas stoves designed for freezing conditions have the fuel line routed over the flame to preheat the gas.

I have no problems with my Kovea (not availablke in USA) to cook in the snow but I did have trouble with my Pocket Rocket MRS one (got rid of it: not best design, unstable, noisy etc).

Gnarlydog