Canoe and swimming ability

“Strength"
Yanoer’s first line probably describes me as well. I’m not that strong of a swimmer either, but I still have some basic advantages - another set of relevant strengths:

Even without being a “strong” swimmer”, I’m reasonably comfortable in the water. I know I can float/rest/pace myself as needed. I know not to fight the water, to let it support me, to swim across rather than against rips/currents, to minimize wave beatings by ducking some to conserve energy (not feeling your head has to be above water all the time makes many things easier). Basically, I know I can manage in the water for some time, because I have done so - in pool, (slow) river, lake, and sea (all for fun, so far…). The water is a somewhat familiar place (but one alway given special respect and attention it deserves).

Panic kills, and being uncomfortable in the water is ALREADY at least a mild form of panic. It places that person at a huge disadvantage - and that’s with some basic ability to swim. Take away that basic skill level (average swimmer Yanoer described - or the BS test requirement demonstrates) and you’re in serious trouble as soon as you hit the water - whether you recognize it or not. Now add other problems that go with pretty much any scenario that got you in the water…

A PFD is not a substitute for swimming ability and water experience/comfort level. It’s not a “lifesaver”. It’s just a flotation aid providing another layer of defense on top of the assumed baseline of basic swimming ability/water comfort. It’s meant to extend water survival time, add some level of support if injured (consciousness and ability to keep face up/head out is assumed), etc. A single layer of added defense that is not enough on it’s own.

Teaching your daughters to swim
You’re OK with them paddling before being good swimmers because you (with years of water experience/training) are there - acting as lifeguard!!!

Do(did) you let them go out alone on the water as non/poor swimmers. I think not.

You’re own actions are shooting down your own arguments here.

we agree
i think we crossed wires. i don’t advocate kids with no water experience going on a river trip by themselves. as long as they have an adult with and a pfd on, i’d let anyone go.

if a kid has a pfd on, i’d also let them paddle around a lake or pond in a canoe or kayak with their friends without an adult in the boat, within reasonable distance (no mile-long crossings or anything like that).

when i was a kid though, i would do those things before i could really swim very well, and i thank my parents for giving me that freedom. “Where were you for the last couple hours?”, was asked of me all the time when i was a kid. Wandering around the woods, paddling around the lake, and so on were common answers.

daggermat touches on this below
I don’t think the comfort factor can be overemphasized.

strong defined
Like others, I defer to daggermat and other’s comments below on being comfortable in the water - that’s what I was really trying to say when I used the term “strong”.

I think it is great!
Cheers,

JackL

strong swimmer…
when I got to Hawaii, and am in shorts and rash guard, I dive and play in big breaking waves all day long. I just love playing in the breaking water.My wife watches me and shakes her head.

That’s completely different from when I come out of my boat in the surf zone in northern california, in my dry suit, spray skirt, pfd. A short swim in will have me sucking wind and tired. Completely different. I used to think I could swim out of anything, and if the poop hits the fan I’ll give it a go, but I work more on staying in my boat than anything else.

I don’t know what this has to do with the discussion, but I like thinking about swimming in Hawaii.