Canoe camping (and EDC) folding knives

more than one
pocket knife is what you need. As long as I’m wearing pants and not going to board a plane, I’ve got a pocket knife with me.

For work (office - now) its a nice slim single blade Case - 3" blade, 4" overall. A great blade for whacking bananas in half - mainly, its fairly inconspicuous, light, and “works” even when I used to wear a suit. Its my only single blade that isn’t a lockback.

For the rest of the time, its usually a heavier bladed single blade lockback from Case - about the same 3" blade.

For hunting (along wiht a fixed blade) I carry my rabbit knife - a Schrade lockback - 3" fine thin blade that works great for rabbits or turkeys

For Canoe camping, and backpacking, I find a 3 blade folding knife to be handy enough that I don’t mind the bit of extra weight, one regular blade, a shortie as an extrra edge, and a sheeps foot serrated blade - all 3 will see use on a camping trip.

Have lots of others of course - I like knives. For canoeing day trips, and overnights, I often bring a larger 4" folder lockback - a cheapo ss “Coast Cutlery” that surprisingly holds a good edge.

Knives are cheap enough that “the Right tool for the job” is easy enough to acquire and store.

I prefer carbon steel over stainless, and I don’t like the little knobs they put on knives nowadays, to help you open the knife - I can flick open most all of my knifes with one hand without those silly little knobs.

types of use
It would help if you provided more information on what specific tasks you would like the knife to accomplish, especially for the EDC part of the question. EDC use can vary from opening envelopes and cutting up apples to opening feed bags, cutting the twine off of hay bales, skinning and butchering animals, or pruning trees.

Gerber mini Para

– Last Updated: Aug-20-12 8:30 PM EST –

I use the Gerber mini Paraframe.

One can get it with a serrated edge: http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/Paraframe-Mini-Knife_22-48484

Or a fine edge: http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/Paraframe-Mini-Knife_22-48485

You won't be hacking a tree down, splitting logs, or taking on a bear with this, but it gets the job done for me.

It only weighs 1.4oz. No thumb studs. And one can remove the clip to save more weight. It does need to be sharpened from time to time.

opinel
Really simple, locks tight unfolded, locks in folded position also, very light, easy to wash, can get stainless -which I have - or carbon. Variety of sizes for different hands. I’ve had mine for 10 + years carry it in my pocket and it’s so light I don’t notice it. Like the wood handle.

yes.
the Buck 110 “folding hunter” is what I carry on all my outings.

For camping and edc folding knife, you can try kubey camping folding knife. It use 8cr14mov stainless steel blade and g10 scales handle. You can have a try.

Another (5 year old) zombie thread.

But I’ll throw in my two cents for any of the Spyderco Salt series.

I’ve been using a folding utility (razor) knife for the last few years. In addition to my pocket knife; because I got tired of dulling my pocket knife by cutting boxes, cable ties, etc.

I use the folding razor knife 99% of the time. I just change blades when it dulls.

The main drawback is that the blades rust when wet, so not great for wet activity.

My father always had a pocket knife as long as he had his pants on. An Old Timer I think. Always kept it sharp to the point where the center of the primary blade was worn away.
Used for: Cleaning finger nails, peeling oranges, cutting apples, opening cans, removing ingrown toenails(mine), cutting meat, removing splinters and other foriegn objects from hands and feet, cleaning squirrels that we ate, carving sticks, cutting rope and many uses I’ve forgotten.
Never did see him clean the blade except when he sharpened it.