Canoe camping options part 1

Excellent post NT

– Last Updated: Jun-03-05 1:14 PM EST –

I second many of the previous ideas.

Tarps are indespensable. I feel naked without my Cooke set up (before the tent!) to give me a secure "home".

Headlamp. How the devil did I ever function with one hand? How many pints of slobber did I drip when trying to hold a Mini-Mag in my mouth?

Cheap flying discs for "mountain rules" golf.

Jim

PS: FRS radios are also indespensable when caravaning on a long road trip. 10-4, good buddy!

I forgot Baby Wipes
Something about being able to freshen up the face and pits without having to endure some of the cold waters I’ve paddled.

Unscented of course and forget that Aloe!

Randy

Nalgene for the in house out house

– Last Updated: Jun-03-05 2:27 PM EST –

Especially after a night of campfire lubrication. (clearly marked and segregated of course)

How could I have forgotten this?
A 1-quart Nalgene Lexan widemouth bottle, suitably labeled with HMIS warnings, to use as a tent urinal. I never have to leave the tent now!

Jim

Let’s go…
I’m available for the next few weekends( not including this one). Let’s make a definate date…

A review…
Plastic buckets…the 4 gallon jelly buckets used by donut shops and bakery stores is nice because it is low profile and sits in a canoe even and not above the gunwales. They are very good dry storage.

A good tarp…to date I’ve relied on someone else to bring along the rain day tarps. My old 18x20 would be made fun of today. Big and bulky the only good thing about it was that you could set it up right over the fire and not worry that you were going to burn a hole in it, unlike some very expensive new para wing types of today.

Head lamps…yep you got to have one today to be in, but Mike is right about the glare. I see newer ones that come with a full set of lenses that can be changed to tone them down. maybe that’s the ticket.

On the table thing…Don’t laugh but I origionaly thought up a design that looked very much like Moms old ironing board. What the heck it’s shaped like a canoe so it would fit right in the bottom of the boat. And the legs tucked under and were fully adjustable for height. But then again I knew I would have to take some ribbing when I unvailed it. The final killer to the project was this scene…which keeps coming back to haunt me. http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/onepic.jsp?id=285662 I don’t think an ironing board table could handle the load.

Good food…Oh yea nothing like good fine cooking on a trip. A small to med cooler with frozen plastic bottles will provide cold food and ice water for days “Deal Alert” West Marine now has 5 day Igloo 50 qt white marine coolers that were origionaly 49.00 bucks on sale for 14.99, unreal…one hell of a nice cooler for that price. And the thicker more well insulated top make a great camp seat. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=143550&catalogId=10001&classNum=231&subdeptNum=230&storeNum=15

i take it all!!!

– Last Updated: Jun-05-05 3:14 AM EST –

when i go on multiple day paddling/fishing trip's in my canoe on local rivers i take everything but the kitchen sink. i'm usually solo on my trips and pack heavy. i fear the day i lose half
my gear negotiating some of the class ll/lll rapids that adorn my usual trips.

1. tent, tarp's, blanket, pillow, towel, wash rag, tp and paper towels packed in a dry bag.

2. deodorant, spare clothes, tooth brush and paste, eating utensils, paper plates and rope packed in backpack's.

3. one cooler for beverages and a second cooler for food. food consists of shrimp, steak, pre-patted burgers, hot dogs, sandwich meat and condiments.

4. grate off of my gas grill along with charcoal and lighter fluid.

5. hatchet, bow-saw, leather gloves and sharp gerber knife.

6. fishing rods, tackle, rod holders and live bait in aerated 5 gallon bucket.

7. trash bags to collect my cans and other waste.

8. lantern, 2 propane cylinders, spare mantels and multiple flashlights with spare batteries.

9. coleman folding chair

10. my digital camera stored in it's waterproof case.

Noticed the Derringer in the kit
It looks like a stainless steel Derringer in 45 Long Colt / .410 in your 16 lb. cook/necessity kit. Have you ever had to use it?

Good eye!! ALSO, noticed the…
Hip Flask… That is not a “sealed container”… Hope you don’t keep the two together, open intoxicant & a firearm are ileagle. He**, just intoxication with a firearm is ileagle.

I personally carry both, but don’t “posess” the two at the “same instance”. BUT, then again it is only ileagle if you get caught right??

Be careful out there.

Paddle easy,

COffee

Never had to use the derringer

– Last Updated: Jun-06-05 5:24 PM EST –

but I've used the flask several times. Guns and alcohol are an everyday part of life in the PA woods.

There are some who don't like to mix firearms and paddling together, almost like it's not politically correct. And that's fine...to each his own, but don't tread on me. Fact is guns have been part of paddling since day one. Many carbines were manufactured specifically with the canoe in mind for use in the hunting and trapping trade. Thousands of hunters still to this day hunt from a canoe, a fact that seems to be lost around here.

The derringer is a "just in case gun" that is just in case you wake up some night and a bear is licking your foot. In reality the most dangerous thing in the woods is not the bear or mountain lion. You are far more likely to run across people that would do you harm.

Myself I just like guns. I collect them and I shoot them, always have and always will. I just bought a .22 rifle yesterday for the sole purpose of making it a canoe gun. It's out back right now in the sun with 4 coats of Watco oil drying, and the gun case....it floats! We had good fun on our last outing shooting at a Bic lighter with a .22 and if not mistaken the kids even got to shoot too, good harmless fun. I feel sorry for any kid whos father won't take the time to teach them hunting and fishing.

I have noticed that just the mear mention of guns can get a whole thread moved to the B&B board. I don't feel it's right. That is unless the discussion is slanted or bordering on outragious BS talk. Guns are a fact of life today, more so than even in the old west. And they have always been part of paddling from the Eskimos to the Indians to the trappers.

By the way I don't hunt, I gave that up years ago but I do support everyone right to enjoy life however they choose.

You know, this got me thinking
If you have a Tilly hat, a gun, alcohol, and a canoe…you could be Hunter Thompson

Re-e-e-a-a-a-aly??? ok…

OK, talked to Eskomojo today
looks like next week is out but the week after, I’ll call Phil and post something on the get together board.

Yeah, but
a .22 derringer is too small to qualify as a Gonzo weapon!

Jim

it’s

– Last Updated: Jun-05-05 9:34 PM EST –

410 000Buck/45LC but I've yet to buy a Tilly. I did do a completely arrogant thing the other day though...I paid 29.00 for a double walled titanium coffee cup.

Jim I still need 3 Blantons bottle tops for that board game I'm designing.

Blanton’s cork

– Last Updated: Jun-06-05 9:14 AM EST –

NT, e-mail me your address and I will send you one. Takes me quite a while to finish off a bottle - I need to attend more P-Net campers!

Double-wall titanium cup, huh? Sounds interesting. I love my dbl wall SS cup from Outdoor Research - where is your's from?

Jim

Where did I get the idea it was a .22? I actually held that weapon at Raystown. Memory must be going......

You also held a P22 Walther

– Last Updated: Jun-06-05 5:17 PM EST –

at Pymo, that's where you got the idea. I'll send you the address. Both .22s http://community.webshots.com/photo/101380837/363049329lqAuAK

oops, oh ya the cup is a Snow Peak
http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/acc_kitch/snowpk_titcupdb450.html